Is My iMac Dead?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JPM42, Dec 8, 2008.

1. JPM42 macrumors 6502

This morning, I tried to turn on my iMac and it has refused to turn on. I have checked to see if everything was plugged in, and it was, and yet it is not turning on. What is worrying me is that when I try to turn it on, I keep hearing a ticking sound coming from the inside. I have an iMac Intel Core Duo which was purchased in May 2006 and it has generally worked beautifully until today. Can anyone suggest any remedies or has this computer departed to Computer Heaven?

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Likely a power supply (could be other things, but that's the most likely). Take it to a repair center, shouldn't be too horribly expensive.

jW

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Ticking sounds are likely a dead hard drive. Boot with your install disk and see if you can mount the hard drive.

Edit: I think it's unlikely to be the power supply, nothing would happen in that case. If you can boot with the install disk, then it's the drive.

Edit 2: Replacing the hard drive (or power supply) yourself is possible, but not for the faint of heart. If you have AppleCare, you'll be ok. Otherwise you can buy a new SATA 3.5" drive and take it to an Apple repair center and they'll replace it for you (for a price)

4. JPM42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, guys. I have tried the suggestion of putting in the Leopard install disc, but the problem is that I can't even do that. The computer isn't doing anything. It's completely off and when I try to push the button in the back, it does nothing, so putting any discs in there is impossible. Does this rule out a hard drive issue and it just merely a power supply issue? And if so, is there a way I could fix this one myself or is it best taking it to Apple (I am protected, by the way)? The only reason I ask is because I'm an audio engineer and the quicker this is back up, the better for my sessions.

Thanks!

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Maybe it is the power supply then - the quickest thing is to take it an Apple store. It'll still be out of action for a couple of weeks though.

One more thing I would check - I've been caught like this myself - are you sure the socket is supplying power? The trip switch in the fuse box hasn't tripped or the fuse burned out for some reason?