Is my iMac defective?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hawke3719, May 13, 2012.

1. Hawke3719 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I purchased my iMac back I'n January and let me say first it is awesome. I just recently moved into my own place and became a comcast customer so I can have Internet. Comcast supplied me with my own xfinity modem for the Internet. Now I have two options or ways of connecting to the Internet. Thru an ether net cable, or wi-fi. My iMac is having problems renewing it's IP address once the ether net cable is plugged I'n. I have tried going under the "advanced" option In System Preferences>Network, and clicked on the RENEW DHCP LEASE.

That still does not work. I've been on the phone with comcast for hours, reseted the Internet box numerous amounts of time and still no luck. The defAult IP address my computer is receiving is way different then that of the one assigned to my address by comcast for Internet capability, PLEASE HELP :(

Is this a hardware issue?? Or maybe a "setting" I don't have checked?

Why does my Mac not renew it's IP address????

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Is the modem/router combination configured to serve as the DHCP server?

3. Hawke3719 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure wether to call it a router/tower/or modem. It's an xfinity piece of hardware supplied by comcast, it has a bunch of lights on it ( power light, US/DS light, online light, and a wi-fi light). Comcast installs everything upon becoming a customer I'n your home so I would imagine it's allgood to go. Everytime I call comcast they just tell me that the tower is online and I should not have problems.

4. Hawke3719 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow Tom that is the exact thread I have been searching for!! I will try that as soon as I get off work and I'll let u guys know. Thanks a bunch Tom n miles

----------

And another thing, it's weird how comcast couldn't direct me to something as helpfull and as "to the point" as that Tom. Prolly would help if their reps. Could speak English hah :) I'll let u know!