Is my iMac dying?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by filmfanatic24, Apr 15, 2012.

1. filmfanatic24, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012

filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

Today, while running Window 7 via bootcamp I noticed that the top back side of my iMac was VERY hot to the touch. I wasn't playing a game or anything, just downloading something via Steam.

I then went to restart to OS X and when the OS came up my background desktop was all pixilated (included screenshot). The icons looked fine, but I've never seen this happen before.

The computer is less than a year old. Should I start thinking about taking it in to an Apple Store?

[​IMG]

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

First: How the system feels to the touch is irrelevant. The case is part of the cooling plan.

Second: That image suggests video card failure. Take it in.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Actually it is relevant, when you do nothing intensive with your computer but it is already VERY HOT, than there is something wrong either with your cooling system (fans) or the hardware itself. And ironically, under normal condition (no intensive task or hardware malfunctions), Windows 7 supposedly runs cooler than OSX Lion.

For OP please make sure whether your whole fans (CPU, HDD, ODD) spin normally and controllable. You can use smcfancontrol to test whether your fans are fine, overheated GPU can show artifacts too.

If fans are fine, and iMac is still very hot to the touch, well it might be your GPU. Since your iMac still under warranty, bring it in immediately. I know it's hurt to bring your iMac back, first it weighs a ton, you don't carry it as easy as a Macbook. Then you lose time, could be 1 week or even more for major repairs since they have to order the particular hardware for your computer.

Last and not least, don't forget to get Applecare if you haven't. Shoot like this could happen again in the future.

4. TheBSDGuy macrumors 6502

Make sure the problem is repeatable before taking it in. Years ago I bought a Mini that had a bad logic board in it. When i turned it on, about 10% of the time it wouldn't boot right. The problem started getting worse. I took it in once, they kept it for a day, and then gave it back saying "no problems found." I took it home, and the problems kept getting worse and worse. I took it back again and they evaluated it for a 3 day period before confirming there was a problem. They replaced the logic board.

If the pixelation problem is consistent, take it in now. It does sound like a probably logic board failure to me.

5. JWSandi macrumors regular

When I run Win 7 my iMac gets hot especially on the top right hand side.

But when I run Lion the temps are fine. The same area of my iMac top right hand side is very cool to the touch, likes it always been.

I always thought it was just windows thing... I don't have any graphics issues etc...

One reason why my machine might be getting hot is that the screen brightness when running Win 7 is at maximum and I cannot turn it down.

6. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have tried shutting down the computer a few times to replicate the problem but haven't been able to.

I was not doing anything graphically intensive in Windows 7. I only had Steam open and downloaded a game in the span of about 2 hours.

After running Lion for a good 5 hours the back upper right hand of the unit is no longer hot at all.

7. Comet5o4 macrumors member

Sounds like your Mac is telling you it doesn't like running Windows :)

If it's less than a year old, it should still be under warranty. I would just take it to an Apple store or fill out a repair ticket online if you don't have an apple store near by. They should be able to fix it for you free of charge since it sounds like its faulty equipment. I would suggest talking to them first and see what they say.

8. czeluff macrumors 6502

I recently replaced the GPU in this iMac. Same artifacting like you show in your image.

It was $150 to get the new card installed (mine is the 8800GTS). Well worth it. This machine has been trouble-free for 3.5 years. I plan on going until the next iMac update now :)