Is my iMac dying?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by londonleaf, Apr 20, 2012.

1. londonleaf macrumors newbie

Last night I was working in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop when my screen began to flicker like crazy and eventually froze. I could still move the cursor around but nothing would work. I couldn't force quit any of the applications or shut down the system. It eventually shut itself down and after restarting everything seemed normal. About 20 minutes later it did the same thing as I was switching between Safari windows using Expose'. (I recorded a small clip of the flickering and put it on youtube if that helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjRwRu4IOg ) After the second time this happened I again tried to start it up and it loaded to a gray screen, no startup chime, no apple logo. Nothing. I hit the power button and it shut down again. And the next time it booted all the way. I then shut it down with the intention of calling Apple Care today but apparently my Apple Care ran out in the last month or so. So, I'd have to pay $49 to talk to them about this issue. I thought I'd come here first. Any ideas what this could be. What are my options? Thanks for your help.

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I had very similar issues and it turned out to be the GPU going bad, which on the iMac requires a motherboard replacement (or did on my 2006 model).

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

You'll probably get more help if you post info on your machine like year, processor, Model Identifier and especially graphics card name. Also your OS level and whether you've applied any updates recently (like just before the problem appeared).

I have an iMac 8,1 (early 2008 24" Aluminum model) and ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro GPU that has an issue similar to (but not exactly like) yours. iMacs differ in whether the GPU is on a separate removable card or not. (Mine is removable, but again, it depends upon the specific model).

I'm guessing your issue may be caused by a graphics hardware or driver issue.

4. londonleaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, that might help. I have an iMac 9,1 (24" early 2009 Aluminium Model)
    I just recently upgraded to OSX 10.6.8

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1067MHz DDR3

NVidia GeForce GT 130