Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VitaminC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
More and more I am noticing distortions on the glass of my iMac. When its on there isnt any visible marks and it looks good. But once I turn it off, all of these marks sort of start appearing. I took some pictures, could you please take a look at it and let me know whats wrong?

25012009995.jpg

25012009997.jpg

Its still has 2 more years of Apple Care, btw.

Thanks for reading.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
USE TAGS!!!!

I also have this issue, I don't think that it is anything serious, it's just annoying. I've yet to take my iMac into the genius bar, if you do, please keep me updated regarding what they do for you. I really don't want to be without a computer for a week again only to find out that "it's within spec."

Don

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
You left off the most important information from your post!

The temperatures!

1) your ambient room temperature
2) various temperatures of your imac

Go and install "istat pro" to get the temperatures.
Google it.

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
I also have this issue, I don't think that it is anything serious, it's just annoying. I've yet to take my iMac into the genius bar, if you do, please keep me updated regarding what they do for you. I really don't want to be without a computer for a week again only to find out that "it's within spec."

Don

They are definedly not normal! You should not have any kind of those marks on the front glass. I would investigate/replace it in a heartbeat.

Btw, is the rooms temperature you guys have a sauna?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
You left off the most important information from your post!

The temperatures!

1) your ambient room temperature
2) various temperatures of your imac

Go and install "istat pro" to get the temperatures.
Google it.

They are definedly not normal! You should not have any kind of those marks on the front glass. I would investigate/replace it in a heartbeat.

Btw, is the rooms temperature you guys have a sauna?

My temps are within normal range. I should be clearer, the marks on my imac aren't on top of the glass, but more like a dark line under the glass. And no, the room isn't like a sauna, my room is at 72° currently.

Don

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 237

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
My temps are within normal range. I should be clearer, the marks on my imac aren't on top of the glass, but more like a dark line under the glass. And no, the room isn't like a sauna, my room is at 72° currently.

Don

Your temperatures seems normal(if its in celcius)...i dont understand fahrenheit without converting ... If its not the temperatures "melting it" ..then perhaps there is somekind of oily substance or a "molding error" from the manufacturing?

Anyways, i havent noticed this on my 24" imac. If i were you i would use the warranty :cool:

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
I've just noticed my new 24" imac has started to get this problem, its very faint and only in the far upper left corder and no where near as bad as in the pictures posted above.

its not visible at all when on.

my imac is a 2.66 stock 2009 24" model, all temperatures are normal and the only real heavy work its done was a 30 min video encode a few days ago, apart from that just regular use.

anyone had this repaired yet? or should i wait until it gets worse before getting it sorted - the imacs got apple care and i'll be extending it at some point anyway.

also is it the glass or the lcd panel? - its hard to tell

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Your temperatures seems normal(if its in celcius)...i dont understand fahrenheit without converting ... If its not the temperatures "melting it" ..then perhaps there is somekind of oily substance or a "molding error" from the manufacturing?

Anyways, i havent noticed this on my 24" imac. If i were you i would use the warranty :cool:

I think you may have meant the opposite regarding C <--> F . If the room was 72 C then it would be very much like a sauna! :D

To the OP, call AppleCare, and have a chat with them. Just calling them doesn't obligate you send it in. On the other hand they may tell you that not fixing it now may cause more serious problems later. You've paid for AppleCare, might as well use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.