Is my iMac overheating?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WolfSpirit360, Sep 4, 2015.

1. WolfSpirit360 macrumors newbie

My iMac feels very hot. I'm scared something bad might happen to it. If it is over heating, give me advice on how to lower the temperature. Here's a picture to help. Please respond.

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You didn't tell us which iMac you have.

Your screen shot doesn't show any unusually high temps, not even enough to kick up the fans. They usually don't do much until you see temps over 70 C. (I would not give much attention until over 90 C.)

A good tip to remember is to make sure that the cooling air inlets are not covered or plugged at all.
    Some iMacs have a round inlet vent under the hinge in the back (above the power connector)
    Every few months, you can wipe across that vent to clear it.

3. MandiMac macrumors 6502

That's because the iMac is built that way: The back is supposed to be hot, so that the temperature goes away from the inside components. Imagine it like some sort of passive cooling system, but with a fan inside that gets the heat away from the CPU/GPU et cetera. The back side is there to help - and it's not something you touch every single second, that's why Apple built the iMac this way.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Play a game for a couple of hours with the brightness turned up full. My 2010 27" i7 goes up to 80-90 degrees celsius, both for the cpu and gpu. The temperatures that you are showing are normal operating temperatures. As the previous poster said, the back is one big heat sink.

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Is it shutting off due to heat? If not, it's not overheating. Aluminum gets hots, it's fine.