Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
so, i play a lot of minecraft and i've been lagging alot lately but i think thats because im playing with a lot of mods. this is online. i always get the whole "i'm not lagging, its you, man" thing when i ask other players about server lag. its really annoying because i play gta online with no issues what soever, and if i play vanilla minecraft, im fine as well. untill about a month ago. so, heres my internet speed from speedtest.

on april 15th, i had a solid 11+ mb/s

today i have barely 8 mb/s.

is this normal? i have uverse and this seems really slow to me. i use to get 20+ mb/s a year ago when i had uverse installed. is there anything i can do to solve this issue, and is it me lagging, or game servers?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
so, i play a lot of minecraft and i've been lagging alot lately but i think thats because im playing with a lot of mods. this is online. i always get the whole "i'm not lagging, its you, man" thing when i ask other players about server lag. its really annoying because i play gta online with no issues what soever, and if i play vanilla minecraft, im fine as well. untill about a month ago. so, heres my internet speed from speedtest.

on april 15th, i had a solid 11+ mb/s

today i have barely 8 mb/s.

is this normal? i have uverse and this seems really slow to me. i use to get 20+ mb/s a year ago when i had uverse installed. is there anything i can do to solve this issue, and is it me lagging, or game servers?
8mbps is plenty for gaming.

Look at latency, you want less than 50.

If your downstream has been effected so drastically, latency could be as well. Background applications doing anything, other DVR type systems? Bad modem? Bad line to house?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't - check with your ISP.
With DSL you don't share your connection and it usually is pretty decent.
With cable, you share the connection so if other people are doing some intensive stuff, it will impact you.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
A friend of mine had Uverse and it was horribly slow. I encouraged him a few times to switch providers and he finally did. I forget what he switched to, but it's a decent speed now.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It's latency (response time) and not just speed you want.

Do you share your home network with others? Are they downloading? Torrents will kill any connection if unmanaged. I have my network set up so torrent ports are subject to strict Quality of Service filters so non P2P packets gets priority.

You say you play with a lot of mods - why not try disabling them and seeing if the lag continues? Some games handle high latencies better than others.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Alright. Thanks. Will check up on my latency. And as far as my network, its just my mom and i. 2 iMacs, 2 iPhones, an iPod, and 2 iPads, a ps3, and a wii are the only devices that use the network, and my mom doesnt really do anything intensive. I do torrent from time to time. What should i do to keep this in control? And as far as mods go, its a feed the beast modded server that requires mods lol so i cant uninstall them.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Alright. Thanks. Will check up on my latency. And as far as my network, its just my mom and i. 2 iMacs, 2 iPhones, an iPod, and 2 iPads, a ps3, and a wii are the only devices that use the network, and my mom doesnt really do anything intensive. I do torrent from time to time. What should i do to keep this in control? And as far as mods go, its a feed the beast modded server that requires mods lol so i cant uninstall them.

I play on a 2Mbps DSL connection with 32 ping. No lag unless ping spikes.

I used to have 16Mbps down with 26 ping and that was even better...
I miss that old houses speed....

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
OP, what kind of network are you using? If you're using 2.4 ghz wifi it's possible that your network is experiencing interference from neighboring networks or even cordless phones. If you think it's actually the Uverse service you need to plug your computer directly into the modem with an ethernet cable and run another test. Some of it could also be time of day - My Uverse service varies between 10mbps and 24 mbps depending on the time of day.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I do torrent from time to time. What should i do to keep this in control?

Do a few speed tests at different times of the day with no traffic on your network and see what your maximum upload speed is. Chances are your torrent application is seeding and saturating your uplink so not much traffic can squeeze down. So either disable seeding of your torrents (antisocial) or quit your torrent application altogether when you want to play games online.

Also, could depend upon your WiFi signal. Hold down ALT and click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar - what is the transmit rate?

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Do a few speed tests at different times of the day with no traffic on your network and see what your maximum upload speed is. Chances are your torrent application is seeding and saturating your uplink so not much traffic can squeeze down. So either disable seeding of your torrents (antisocial) or quit your torrent application altogether when you want to play games online.

Also, could depend upon your WiFi signal. Hold down ALT and click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar - what is the transmit rate?

I never have it open unless i'm downloading a torrent. I'll check the transmit rate when i get home.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks

transmit rate is 144. is that bad?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I would note that UVerse speed is affected by your TVs. The last I read is that the bandwidth is shared between the Internet and TV service. The more TVs with HD channels on the greater the slow down.

If you are using a DVR. Then each channel that is tuned and/or recording will eat up bandwidth. Even if you aren't watching or recording anything as long as it is turned on and the tuner is on any channel it is eating up bandwidth. This only really effects the highest tier Internet package or if you have enough TVs to eat up the bandwidth from the highest tier package to yours.

Although I think the uVerse boxes go into sleep mode to when not in use. As I don't have to use U-Verse I don't. It just seems that way when someone wants me to work on their home theater. Thankfully I have Comcast with vastly faster internet speeds and far superior picture quality (they provide more bandwidth per HD stream).

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I would note that UVerse speed is affected by your TVs. The last I read is that the bandwidth is shared between the Internet and TV service. The more TVs with HD channels on the greater the slow down.

If you are using a DVR. Then each channel that is tuned and/or recording will eat up bandwidth. Even if you aren't watching or recording anything as long as it is turned on and the tuner is on any channel it is eating up bandwidth. This only really effects the highest tier Internet package or if you have enough TVs to eat up the bandwidth from the highest tier package to yours.

Although I think the uVerse boxes go into sleep mode to when not in use. As I don't have to use U-Verse I don't. It just seems that way when someone wants me to work on their home theater. Thankfully I have Comcast with vastly faster internet speeds and far superior picture quality (they provide more bandwidth per HD stream).

We have only the internet. Never in my life have I had anything but over the air local tv.... Really weird I know but we don't really watch tv at all so there's no point In getting a tv package added to our service or getting dish or something.

BarneyJek

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
Some guys are kidding probably. It can't even imagine the internet speed of less than 1 Mbps today...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.