Is my iPhone 3GS's "oleophobic-ness" non-existant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roflcopterrr, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Roflcopterrr macrumors member

I exchanged my old 3GS for a new one about a week ago due to some software issues, and I have noticed that this new replacement (brand new, not a refurb) attracts fingerprints/smudges really easily, and does NOT wipe off easily. With my old 3GS, one quick swipe on my jeans would remove ANY smudges. With my new replacement, it takes 15-30 seconds or so of rubbing to get rid of about 90% of smudges. Is my screen defective?

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Maybe while they were refurbishing it, they accidentally used an iPhone 3G screen... never know.

3. Roflcopterrr thread starter macrumors member

That's the thing tho... it isn't refurbished. The employee took it straight from the front desk, it was a brand new iPhone.

4. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Came from a little white box out of a sleeve? Refurb.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes

6. frunze macrumors member

See, I think this is just wrong. I am planning to have my iPhone replaced due to a battery issue (took it in, they restored it and told me to see if it doesn't improve - it didn't; they said next step would be to replace, and on top of that the phone does very strange things since the restore) - anyway, I am expecting a brand new 3GS, are you saying they will only give me a refurb unit?

7. Kyeris macrumors 6502

The Apple refurbs are just as top notch as the new units, this has been discussed several times. The problem that they were returned for is fixed, then the complete outer case is replaced, and they are tested (possibly multiple times).

And what Spaz? You're confusing me now.

8. Roflcopterrr thread starter macrumors member

How many times must I say it..? The man gave me a black iPhone 3gs box, sealed up in plastic, with all normal accessories.

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The warranty on YOUR iPhone and everyones iPhone states that the replacement may be either a refurb or a new one but that is up to Apple to decide. Read your warranty.

10. Kyeris macrumors 6502

You know that really surprises me, haven't really seen a case like this - yet. I assume your best bet would be to schedule another appointment and let the *geniuses* know what they think about it.

11. Odid macrumors regular

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My 3GS is really easy to keep clean, you can take yours in with last week's fingerprints and smudges and you should be good to go......:eek::eek::eek:

13. army91c macrumors 6502a

No he didn't.... don't need to make stories up to be cool on the net.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Your skin oils have clearly risen to meet this new threat.