Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Wow :eek:
Never seen that kind of damage to an iPhone before.

I think you should take it to Apple and get it replaced for $200. I wouldn't even try repairing that. Seems like there would be a lot that needed to be replaced

Agreed. I doubt that it could be fixed.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Sounds like you're FUBAR'd. OOW replacement would be best option IMHO.
Pics of hydraulic bed too please, sounds cool.

Secondly why is a wedding making you broke? My wedding with JOP, $65. My brothers wedding $28,000. I'm just as married, just as happy but didn't start my married life forcing our parents to dump a ton of cash (or blowing saving of our own) into a "party". Marriage is in your heart not in the party thrown to celebrate it. Never understood why people blow so much... I guess it's the fairytale of it all. Good luck!

Dude you don't want to come across as a cheapskate for your own wedding. Spend some cash on your gal if you love her its the least you can do for her. 65 bucks? Yikkes I spend more on a pair of JEANS.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Hi,

Just looking for some advice as the damage is pretty severe. Basically I crushed the phone under my hydraulic bed. It's separated right where the bottom of the screen ends. Everything works. Except I can't get any reception.

I was hoping that buying a complete color conversion kit with a complete mid frame I can fix it.

Any opinions? I'd rather not waste $100 but just to see it can't be fixed. My wedding is making me broke.

I'll upload pix in a few minutes. My galaxy note is not cooperating

Based on what you say it's completely reparable. If everything works but the obviously damaged parts plus the cell signal issue then most likely all you'll need to replace is the front, back and midframe.

You should take it apart and compare the parts against what you see here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+4+Teardown/3130/1
Look for damage to pcb boards, broken connectors and/or ribbons, etc.

It's really encouraging that everything works. iPhone 4 parts are really cheap. Front assembly $25 or less, midframe $15 or less, back $5 look on eBay for parts once you identify what you need. If you're comfortable doing the repairs yourself you can most likely have this fixed for less then $50.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Dude you don't want to come across as a cheapskate for your own wedding. Spend some cash on your gal if you love her its the least you can do for her. 65 bucks? Yikkes I spend more on a pair of JEANS.

And? Like I said my brothers wedding was 28 THOUSAND dollars. 28, twenty eight, acht-und-zwanzig..... for a PARTY. I spent $65 to get married and we are just as happy, just as married but started out $27,935 ahead. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
See just how weak the IPhone 5 frame is it bends so easy. But something else:cool:
Be nice and take the blame I bet Apple will help you out.

----------

And? Like I said my brothers wedding was 28 THOUSAND dollars. 28, twenty eight, acht-und-zwanzig..... for a PARTY. I spent $65 to get married and we are just as happy, just as married but started out $27,935 ahead. Sounds like a no brainer to me.
Does he still have more money than you?

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I'm sorry but I did giggle a lil bit when I saw the pic :p
That's a mest up iPhone. I would take it to the apple store and pay to get it replace.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
See just how weak the IPhone 5 frame is it bends so easy. But something else:cool:
Be nice and take the blame I bet Apple will help you out.

----------

Does he still have more money than you?

LoL.... he is a narcotics officer in Florida, I'm a FP/ER MD in the US Air Force. Of course he still has more money than me!

"You're just upset that I made you return the money"......."Oh you mean the 3 million dollars.... just say it, 3 million dollars..... 3 million dollars"...

Someone gets a cookie if they can name the movie.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

Yeah 28K is nuts unless you got 5 million in the bank.

But why can't you spend 500-1000 bucks and have a better wedding.

It's the one event you remember forever. So why not make that investment.

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
sorry to hear that, form the pics, your iPhone has been badly damaged, you can take it to the local apple store to ask about the fix cost, i do not think fix by yourself is a good idea.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
LoL with a 50% divorce rate it seems many will have a few of those "events to remember", plus I still remember the day I got married..... the best memory is that it was only $65!

That's your best memory? That it was only $65? Not how gorgeous your wife looked, or how happy you were to be married to her?

Man, I feel sorry for her. I refrained from saying anything because I know a lot of people simply don’t have the money to do what they’d like, or are living below the poverty line. But your statement shows you’re pretty much just cheap.

I hope you change your attitude, because one of these days she’s going to get sick eating out of cans and she might just leave.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Sorry OP but I laughed when I saw the pictures. I've never seen a phone that messed up before. Take it in and say you have no idea how it got like that. Surely they will believe you. Needless to say this might be one of the few that DON'T make it back to be a refurbished model, but rather in the trash can.

Edit: BTW how did this thread turn into a discussion about weddings?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
That's your best memory? That it was only $65? Not how gorgeous your wife looked, or how happy you were to be married to her?

Man, I feel sorry for her. I refrained from saying anything because I know a lot of people simply don’t have the money to do what they’d like, or are living below the poverty line. But your statement shows you’re pretty much just cheap.

I hope you change your attitude, because one of these days she’s going to get sick eating out of cans and she might just leave.

Wait, are you implying that if he'd spent $28K, that the wedding would suddenly become more special? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. Different people have different priorities. Some people like to save for other things in the future -- like their kids, or a nicer house, or retirement. It's called different priorities. Stop being so judgmental. The right choice for you may not be the right choice for him. Besides, given how many people in this country have gotten themselves into crushing debt, I applaud his decision. If his wife is happy -- and it sounds like she is -- who the heck are you to judge?

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Wait, are you implying that if he'd spent $28K, that the wedding would suddenly become more special?

No, that's not what I'm implying. I actually didn't imply anything; I basically stated my feeling, which was if his FAVORITE memory of that entire day was the fact that he only spent $65, then I felt sorry for his wife.

28k for a wedding is just as stupid.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
No, that's not what I'm implying. I actually didn't imply anything; I basically stated my feeling...

Actually, no, that's not correct. You called him "cheap," so if you weren't meaning to imply something, your choice of words betrayed you.

To recap:
  • $65 is too little for you, but $28K is too much.
  • $65 is right for him, but $28K and whatever-in-between-amount-you-think-is-"right" are both too much for him.
  • $65 and your-arbitrary-amount are too little for, according to Myiphone7, anyone with $5M in the bank, but $28K would be right.

See my point? Like I originally said, these are deeply personal decisions, and the right choice for one person/couple may be wrong for another person/couple. I find people imposing their views on others when it comes to this topic to be obnoxious because frankly, the only people that matter are those in the couple getting married.

more iDevices? :apple:
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.