Is my iPhone 5 battery damaged?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jayrflow, May 26, 2013.

1. jayrflow macrumors 6502

Okay so I got a 32GB iphone 5 from Verizon. Up until a few weeks ago I had great battery life. Now it's just horrible. It discharges way to quickly. It goes down 1% for each minute the screen is on. When I'm streaming online radio or have my phone connected to my Bluetooth speaker, it gets really hot and the battery just drains even quicker. Now I can go to the apple store to get it swapped but I have mine jailbroken and the replacement iphone 5s they got are most likely on 6.1.3. I'm thinking about opening up my iphone and changing the battery myself. But before I do all this, could it be the battery that's causing my phone to get extremely hot? Does it sound to you guys like my battery needs to be replaced? I don't wanna buy the new battery and replace it or exchange my iphone at an apple store if it isn't the battery. Thanks for any help

2. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Jailbroken?

Get it back to stock if you can and see how it works.

3. jayrflow thread starter macrumors 6502

That's like a last resort thing. I don't wanna lose my jailbreak but when I get fed up, that's probably what I'll do. I've seen a few apps that will sorta restore your iphone without losing your jailbreak and I might try one of those before I go completely back to stock

4. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

What tweaks do you have installed, and what have you installed RECENTLY/updated. That will do it too!

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If its a tweak or corrupted data, which yes could be the reason for the battery drain and the heat (both of which are likely caused by something making the battery constantly run) then you'll just be swapping a possible good battery for another one that will suffer the same issues

6. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

If its jailbroken then the battery issues are more than likely caused by software problems rather than hardware.

Try restoring it, or if you MUST have a jailbreak, you can use iLEX RAT to "restore" your jailbreak, you'll just have to reinstall your tweaks. Or try to remove any recently installed tweaks, as they may be using your battery more often, or perhaps one is corrupted and is unnecessarily using battery life.

7. CharismaticNerd macrumors regular

CharismaticNerd

8. jayrflow thread starter macrumors 6502

Does iLEX RAT actually work? I'm kind of worried about using it and messing up my iphone 5. I may just try removing all tweaks and run it like that for a day and see what happens