Is my iPhone 5 lens scratched?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jethryn Freyman, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

So, all of a sudden I noticed that all my iPhone 5 photos and videos had a sharp purple smear on them. I've got the latest version of iOS 6 and this mark is consistent across all camera apps and different video resolutions. I think it looks like a scratch, it won't move or be rubbed off. What do you guys think? Anything I can do to help with it?

I treat this phone well, I've never had any other phone or camera get so much as tiny smudge on the lens. I've looked at the phone lens under a big magnifying glass and can't see any scratches on it.

[​IMG]

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Bunch of threads on this already since October. There's dust inside the lens. Bring it to apple and they will replace it under warranty.

3. magilla macrumors regular

Before you take it/send it back to Apple, take a couple more photos on different colored (not textured) backgrounds, maybe with something like a wooden ruler in the frame (to give the Apple a frame of reference to the optical size of the "flaw".

Since you didn't say WHEN you got the Fone and it's just doing this NOW, it's either one of two things; some really microscopic surface scratch on the outside of the lens that you recently picked up (after all, you didn't notice it when you first got the Fone did you?) or something internal (a micro-burr) has worked itself onto the surface of the CCD array inside the camera.

Good luck!

If it were me though, I'd me more worried about the obnoxious fluorescent red rubber band that's appearing in my pics now! ;);

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

since the only thing to scratch the sapphire lens is a diamond i would say that it is not a scratch. (unless you are a rapper of course :D)