Is my iPhone 5S battery life normal ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonyme, Jun 21, 2014.

1. anonyme macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I'm quite happy to share my "digital life" with my iPhone 5S that I bought few months ago. My main problem is the battery life. In fact, I mainly use my iPhone as an iPod Touch, ie It's always in airplane mode, with wifi turned on and all the other options disabled...

Here are my stats :

Battery: 50%
    Use: 4 hours and 5 minutes
    Stanby: 9 hours and 2 minutes

Battery: 1%
    Use: 8 hours and 11 minutes
    Stanby: 12 hours and 34 minutes.

Are these stats normal ??? I think it is very bad for an iPhone in airplane mode. And I have to say that I only use it to surf the web (no games) and watch videos on the web.

2. Dr.arif macrumors newbie

Looks very much normal to me..nothing to worry about:)

3. anonyme thread starter macrumors newbie

@Dr.arif: I agree with you. My battery life is "normal" for someone that would use it "normally". But the fact is that I use it only for browsing whereas the battery dies in 6 hours and 10 minutes when I'm not in airplane mode (no 3G or 4G)

4. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

It's normal, watching videos on the internet uses more battery and brightness plays a big part as well.

5. anonyme thread starter macrumors newbie

@EM2013: My brightness is set as 30%, no more and I clean the ram when I have an open app.

6. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

We're telling you it's normal, what else do you want? If you feel like it's not normal then take it to the apple store and have them check it out.

7. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Cleaning the RAM also does absolutely nothing for your battery life, in fact probably is detrimental over the day with the on screen time spent closing apps via multitasking

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you have a lot of apps that use Push Notifications even when closed like Facebook? That can be a hit to the battery as well.

9. g35, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

g35 macrumors 6502a

You seem to be using your phone 40-70% of the time. Your battery life is fine. If you want to know for sure, you need to
    • plug phone into computer and tell us how much battery capacity iBackupbot says you have left
    • charge your phone to 100%
    • clear the multitasking drawer
    • restart your phone
    • unplug your phone
    • write down which apps you're using, and for how long
    • tell us about your iOS settings (LTE, background refresh, push email, iTunes match, etc)
    • tell us how much of the time you were listening to music with the screen off, and through which app you did this
    • make a note of your signal strength, and whether you spent time in any poor-signal areas
    • tell us how much usage/standby time you got from that full charge

There are so many variables in battery life that it's impossible to take two crumbs of information and tell you for sure whether or not there's a problem

Try using your phone normally, eg. not in airplane mode, for a week. See how much battery life you get then. If you consistently get about 6-8 hours with airplane mode off that's normal and your phone is just like everyone else's

10. anonyme, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

anonyme thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is my battery stats with a little of 3G, brightness at 50%. I may go to the Apple Store because my previous iPhone 5S could last much longer

PS: my phone was unpluged at 93%

It's very weird because the battery has lost 10 % battery in one week while it was turned off...

Attached Files:

11. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

Still looks normal to me. I think your other one was a keeper... :cool:

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I would say a minimum of 5 hours of usage per 100% is normal. So maximum 20%/hour (in use) is normal.

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I noticed my battery acting weird after the last update. I would fully charge it, remove from wall charge, and it would drop 2%(98%). This is without any app running. Now when that happens I just turn the iPhone off and turn it back on… woolah it's at 100%

@OP try that. Make sure you are charging from a wall charger and not connected to a computer. Put it in airplane mode while charging and turn off all apps.

14. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

I think that is a quite normal thing so do not bother about it.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

According to your stats you ARE using your phopne more than normal. Games and a lot of Internet will eat the battery just from the screen being on much less the CPU working.

Most people are working or doing other things that just playing with their phone for 8 hours:eek: in a day! I can not even imagine having that kind of spare time and if I did I would do something else rather than play on my phone.:rolleyes:

16. anonyme thread starter macrumors newbie

@Newtons Apple: Don't be afraid ! I don't use my phone 8 hours a day, but for two or three days. The main problem is the battery consumption without doing anything (even with the phone turned off).

Did someone ever experience this kind of issue ? I have to say that seems weird to me, because the only explanation I could find is a hardware issue. But when I look at my battery stats, iBackupbot says my battery is completely fine...