Is my iphone a fake?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alimafion, Sep 8, 2011.

1. alimafion macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I know you have tons of threads like this but I'm in a right pickle here. Basically my lovely iphone 4 fell in a sink full of water and drowned, so I contacted my insurance company (protect your bubble) and I got my replacement today... however they sent it to my mum and dad's address so I can't see the phone for real and have no pictures at hand to show. Anyway the phone came in a iphone box but the box had no picture of an iphone on it and there was no apple logo imprinted on the box, however it does have an IMEI number and a serial number on a sticker with an apple logo and it says it was made in china (but even fakes are made in china as we all know), So does this sound dodgey or am I just getting paranoid for no reason?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you turn it on, you will be able to tell within seconds if its real or not.

3. alimafion thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have it to hand. I don't live with my mum or dad anymore so I can't tell and none of my family are being very helpful. Apparently it is just saying insert sim and going through all the different languages...

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So I guess you will find out for sure when you get there;)
    I know its really hard to hold off that long and the anticipation is killing you:D

5. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

If you can't tell if it's fake or not based on your parents description, neither can we. Like already stated, you will find out once you get the phone in hand.

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

The unmarked box is what Apple uses for their refurbished iPhones.

I would say its real.

7. alimafion thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha thanks anyway, don't know when I'll next be home. It is supposed to be getting sent to me but I really want to know quickly because I need to phone the insurance company if it is a fake and rip them a new one.

8. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Insurance companies, in my experience, don't usually send replacements out in the official packaging, when one of my old phones was replaced, it just came in a plain box. As for the "Insert SIM" in multiple languages, that is normal for real iPhones too.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It's a refurbished iPhone, not a new one.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

From what i can gather from your post, your iphone sounds real

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's real. Not completely new, but rather refurbished.

The refurbished ones come in a plain white box. No worries.

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

in my experience in the UK I've had a couple replacements and they came in a plain brown box and just had the handset no battery or charger or accessories (was a nokia at that time).... could be the OP has been sent an iPhone in a plain box.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Why would your think your insurance company would send you a fake? Did you buy your insurance from a guy in a bar?

14. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Why even post until you've looked at it? It's amusing how people get bent out of shape imagining how things might go wrong or how someone might try to get one over on them. How about inserting your sim card, powering it up and connecting it to iTunes before you cry wolf.

15. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

refurb apple products like iphones and ipod touches come in plain white boxes. You're fine.

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

What do u mean "ur family isn't being very helpful"? And what do u mean they are "supposed" to send it to u? Sounds like u should have had the Insurance co. ship it to bigfoots house. He would have been more helpful. ;)

But seriously, refurbs come packaged differently. Check this link. It shows pic of iPhone refurb box. HTH!

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=25184

17. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It my understanding that the only Apple related products you can get from bars are prototypes ... If he did get it from a guy in a bar.. well there you go!

18. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

...Well played.

19. ann713 macrumors 6502a

The device came in a generic box not the retail box because it's a replacement, so I really doubt it's a fake. When the phone is in your possession, you can check the serial number here for peace of mind.

20. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The unmarked boxes are standard for refurbished units. :) Nothing to worry about! The only time you should be upset is if you get the phone back and it says "hiPhone" on it. :D

21. eaglesteve, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

eaglesteve macrumors 6502

The fake can look 100% like the real thing. It's impossible to tell them apart by physical examination alone. The only way that I know which differentiates them is the ability to access App Store and buy iOS applications.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Without having a clue yet he's worried and ready to call the insurance and complain:D

23. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Touché.

24. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Like others have said, Apple refurbished iPhones do not come in a marked box.

25. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You wouldn't get an iPhone which has been refurbished by Apple through a third party insurance company. You'd get a new in box iPhone.