Is my iPhone battery dead?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by captinsane903, Mar 6, 2010.

1. captinsane903 macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPhone in the snow about a week ago and it got some water damage.

Today, when i plugged my iphone into the charger, it showed the battery with the low red battery symbol with the lightning bolt underneath it. It would be on for about 30 seconds then the screen would turn off for another 30-60 seconds before showing that screen again.

Would this be the sign of a dead battery, or another problem? I'm going to leave it plugged in over night and hopefully it'll charge up.

editt**also, it'll show this symbol with the plug with an arrow pointing to the lightning bolt before the screen goes blank(sometimes).
    And recently, it would randomly flash an all black screen every 10-20 seconds or so.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The battery doesnt die like that from good life to 30 seconds of power.
    Your problem is water damage.

3. captinsane903 thread starter macrumors newbie

well right now all it does is show the low battery symbol with the lightning bolt underneath. it flashes up and disappears.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd suggest to bring it to Apple and have it replaced for $200.
    Water damage is not easy to repair and it could end up costing more money and aggravation.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And you dropped it in the snow. It's not the battery, you have water damage. Take it to Apple and pay $199 for an out of warranty replacement due to water damage.

6. GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

Hey, Captainsane, I was just wondering what you decided to have done to it? did you try and fix the water damage yourself or did you do as everyone said and take it to apple?

People saying take it to apple, I have a phone that I bought and I knew it was broken (don't worry, it cost me $10 from a friend....super cheap). He lied and said there was no water damage, but I took it apart and the white stickers that show if you have water damage are red (liars...lol). It is also showing the same screen that captainsane was talking about but mine isn't flashing to black every 30-60 seconds. it just shows the battery with low juice and a little lightning bolt underneath it. Anyway, the phone is pretty beat up. Will the $200 replacement for out-of-warranty phones work for that as well?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can get any damaged iphone replaced for the $200 out of warranty service.