is my iphone bricked?!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ekk20, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ekk20, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

ekk20 macrumors member

Hi Macrumours, I did some searching but to no avail. Hoping to get some expert advice.

I tried jailbreaking my factory unlocked iPhone 4 this evening, successfully upgraded to 4.3 (on a mac), then booted into Windows 7 (bootcamp) to perform the jailbreak with sn0wbreeze. All is well, completed the jailbreak but here is the problem. I've lost all information on the phone, thinking I can sync it back to the phone on my mac side, but it would freeze and couldn't complete the sync. My phone is as well unable to detect my mobile network, and stuck at 1 bar signal.

1, I tried booting into DFU mode, tried doing update and restore, it returned a message later, says "couldn't restore iPhone, internal error occurred." What could be causing the internal error? No error codes were provided.

2, Is there anyway I can reset the phone back to iOS 4.3 unjailbroken state?

**********edit**********

for those of you who are running into the same problem, I did the following to reinstall iOS 4.3.

use another mac computer
    open iSync preference and reset history
    go to account, create new account with admin rights
    restart mac, log into new account
    open itunes, restore -> restore update
    go back to main computer i back up my iphone with
    restore to previous back up
    done.

Thanks guys.

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Try downloading TinyUmbrella, then use its "Kick out of recovery" and see what happens.

You may need to edit your hosts file so the servers look for apple instead of cydia to restore. try googling "change host files iphone" or something like that.

if not you could always use something like redsn0w to install a non custom ispw.

iPhones cannot be bricked by standard practices so you dont have anything to worry about!

3. ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Benji, I installed TinyUmbrella, couldn't enter, fix, or exit recovery. The buttons not clickable. The only way to get to the home screen is to boot into Windows and use iBooty, then I can boot into home screen but once again, no reception, pretty much becomes an iPod. I'm going to look into change host files..

I've only had success with untether jailbreaks like limera1n, I shouldn't have messed around with a tether jailbreak. I can't even make a phone call now! sigh.

Anymore advice would be great. Thanks!

4. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

try another computer?
    If you get it to DFU mode and restore all should be well...

5. ekk20, Mar 13, 2011

ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

I can get it into DFU mode, but after clicking update and restore it would say can't restore iPhone, internal error occurred.. tried doing it on the Windows side, it says unknown error 3601.

I'll try it on another computer. Thanks!

6. ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

The phone won't even boot into homescreen using ibooty... on the screen it just shows the usb cable -> iTunes...

7. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

8. ekk20, Mar 13, 2011

ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

Just tried RecBoot, when I clicked Enter Recovery Mode I had a pop up message that says "the program cant start because itunesmobiledevice.dll is missing from your computer". This is done on the Windows 7 side.

edit.

My phone is now stuck with the Apple boot up logo. Pressing power won't do anything, I have to hold screen+home to *reboot* it so it can be frozen again.
    Seems like I'm SOL.

9. ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

Used another Mac, just simply tried to "update and restore". The iPhone reacted to it, now there's a progress bar but iTunes is stuck at Preparing iPhone for restore.... SIGH any help would be greatly appreciated!

10. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're jailbreaking 4.3? There is no untethered jailbreak for 4.3, could that be part of your issue?

11. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

You could have a coincidental hardware failure. bring it to an Apple store and have them try to restore. they should just hand you a new one.
    They shouldn't be able to detect the JB because you have tried to load and unload the software a couple times and it should be all gone...