Is my iphone bricked?

JohnF30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Yesterday I tried to update my 3GS to 6.0 wirelessly and the update failed because the battery ran out. Now my phone appears to be in recovery mode.

Is there any way to restore the device without losing all my photos and videos I ever took the last 3 years? I'm absolutely desperate :mad: It looks like I'm about to lose 10,000 pictures

iExplorer and Diskaid don't seem to recognise the phone.

Last edited:

JohnF30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I think I've setup iCloud. I'll try the restore now, since there doesn't seem to be another way. Good luck to me

JohnF30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
So it turns out I do have icloud set up, but I tried to restore from icloud and it says "Cannot restore from backup". It says that my icloud storage is 4.75GB which means my photos are definitely stored there. However, I don't have access to them! Why?

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Not to sound condescending, but next time, make sure you plug in the charger before updating, as recommended in the warning message. I hope you are able to restore your photos, it seems like there is still a good chance.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Not to sound condescending, but next time, make sure you plug in the charger before updating, as recommended in the warning message. I hope you are able to restore your photos, it seems like there is still a good chance.
Also not trying to be condescending but this is why you do a back up before a major update. My jail broken 4S failed to update to iOS 6 it's first time but I had just downloaded pics to iPhoto and did a back up in iTunes.

Sorry to hear this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.