Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
My iPhone was working perfectly untill a couple minutes ago. I was talking on the phone for about an hour. When I ended the call I had 11% battery left, then I picked the phone up again 15 minutes later, and it's dead (turned off by itself). It won't turn on at all now, I even left it on the charger for 15 minutes... still unresponsive? Is my iPhone broken? It did get pretty hot during the call.

Last edited:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Have you tried holding down the power and standby button at the SAME time?\

Being on the phone for an hour will make you phone warm but it should not kill it so you may want to back it up and get a Geek to look at it.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Have you tried holding down the power and standby button at the SAME time?\

Try this... and hold for at least 10 seconds.

A similar thing happened to me recently, iPhone suddenly just turned off, no signs of life, it would not even respond to being connected to the computer, nothing was being detected.

I was about to go to Apple's store the next day when I searched this forum and read that other people have had similar thing happen to them and you have to hold down power and standby, did that and it got reset and turned on...

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
WOW!!! Thanks everyone! Sleep + Home turned it back on, saved me a trip to the Apple Store :). Anyone know why this happened? Is it defective or just a bug in the software, should I be worried?

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
my 3GS did that once. I was hating life until the apple store person did that reset. I could have kissed the genius girl! ;)

It is a lonely feeling to have a dead iphone...

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I know. I once challenged myself to leave my phone at home for a day. Needless to say, the challenge was not taken up.

I might end up doing this next Thursday while I go to work (got a plane to catch afterwards and I'm pretty picky about making sure all my gadgets are charged up for the plane trip).

I don't know if I can convince myself to do it (I'd feel so naked without my phone. Actually, I think I could even feel ok if I just had a phone of some sort though I'd still miss my iphone for those hours. Funny, I grew up without having a cellphone and felt completely fine going places with no cellphone and now I feel like I'm risking something by being phoneless).

iRach

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2009
:D Ha, I'm going to a gig tomorrow, I don't really want to risk taking my new white iPhone 4 but I don't want to leave it at home either! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.