Is my iPhone dead?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Torrs, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Torrs macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G 8GB. It is not Jailbroken or Unlocked. Basically the iPhone was accidently run down to 0. Then when I came to turn if back on it wouldn't.

Basically, if I plug in a connector cable that is connected to a USB the silver Apple logo appears on screen for a minute or so, then the display disappears apart from a very faint Apple logo (almost like screen burn) until I unplug the cable, and it disappears completely. By the way, this is the only way I can get any responce from the iPhone

If I try and put it into DFU mode, it comes up with the Connect to iTunes graphic. I connect to iTunes, iTunes recognizes a device is in DFU mode. I try and restore but it fails instantly with an Error 23. It then disconnects itself. I have this procedure of three different Macs, all with the same outcome.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this iPhone completely dead? Is there anything else I can try?

2. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

I believe one of your backups are corrupted as I think I had the same error. Try to restore without your previous backup and see if that works. If that won't work and DFU mode fails then you may want to go to the store for an exchange or see if they may be capable of restoring it.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I don't believe it is a corrupt backup though that is a viable explanation. In order to fix this you need to do a Forced Restore. Follow these steps.

Hard Reset:
    1) Power iPhone on.
    2) Hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for about 7 seconds, or until the screen turns black.
    3) Your iPhone should reboot. If it doesn't don't worry, just hold the Sleep/Wake button for about 2 seconds.

Start at step 3:

Forced Restore:
    1) Turn iPhone off by holding down the Sleep/Wake Button for about 5 seconds or until the Slide to Power Off slider appears (if possible)
    2) Slide Power Off slider. If iPhone is unresponsive, follow the Hard Reset instructions up to Step 3.
    3) Open iTunes on your computer (Mac or PC).
    4) Hold the Home Button down while you connect your iPhone to your computer via a USB cable.
    5) iTunes should prompt you with a message saying an iPhone has been detected in Recovery Mode and that you must Restore it to before it can be used with iTunes.
    6) Click Ok.
    7) Click Restore a message should appear confirming that you want to Restore and Update.
    8) Click Restore and Update. The restore has been initiated. Leave your iPhone connected until you iPhone reboots and syncs with iTunes.

DPA

4. Torrs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Mademan. I don't think it's a corrupt backup either. I've tried the procedure on three Macs and a PC and still the problem persists. Currently I think the Apple Store may be my only course of action, and even then I don't think they'll do anything.

Thanks again for the reply.

5. Torrs thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey DPA. Thank you for your reply too.

Hard Reset: My iPhone won't initiate a boot until it's plugged into a power source (USB/wall charger).

Forced Restore: I've done all this on three Macs and a PC and I get the same error (error 23) as soon as the Restore has finished extracting. I'm at a real loss.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Sounds a lot like a hardware issue now but the only thing that makes me skeptical of that theory is that it happened after you ran out of battery completely.

If you iPhone is still under warranty, I would take it back to Apple or AT&T (or your carrier) and they'll replace/fix it with a hardware reset. A hardware reset can only be done by them (or so they say) and is the last thing that I know of that is left to do to this as a software problem.

DPA

7. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Hmmm.

I'm guessing it's dead as well if none of the above work. There's not a lot of troubleshooting you can do like a pc. I would take it back and hopefully there is an apple store located near you. :cool:

8. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Just an educated guess on my part:

It sounds to me like it is related to the battery. Almost as if the phone *thinks* that there is enough of a charge left to boot up, but there isn't actually, so it dies/shuts off in the middle of doing so. You know how the phone will refuse to power on if it is depleted and instead show you an image of the battery with a little red sliver blinking at one end? It should be doing that, but instead it's trying to boot.

I once had an issue with my very first iPhone 3G last year where I let it run out of battery, and then it wouldn't show any signs of life *at all*. No blinking red battery or anything. Even if I plugged it in to charge it. I left it plugged in for several minutes and *nothing* happened. I thought it was a goner! But I decided to leave it plugged in to AC power overnight, and the next morning I discovered that at some point in the middle of the night it finally gained enough charge that it powered itself on and continued charging.

My guess is that you will have to take it back to Apple eventually to have them replace it, but it would be worth a shot to leave it plugged into AC for a while and see if it eventually works itself out.

-- Nathan

9. Torrs thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it was a battery issue but I've replaced the battery and it was exactly the same problem. It could be that the iPhone has some kind of auto shutoff protocol that only an Apple authorised hardware reset will fix. I've booked an appointment to see an Apple Genius. Just see what he says I suppose.

Thanks to all for your replies!

Torrs

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

when this happens you will have to leave it plugged in for a long time to get it to charge. I plug it into my pc and when iTunes sees it you are ok. now when doing the reboot you must hold the home and power buttons until you see the apple logo otherwise you didnt hold them long enough. you must have juice for this to work! this is no guarantee but I have had several phones with the same issue and this fixed all of them. (maybe I got lucky!!)

11. Torrs thread starter macrumors newbie

If I plug the iPhone into my Mac I get the silver Apple logo. Then after a minute or so it will go off. You can just barely see the Apple logo and the charged black pixels. I've left it in this state for about 12 hours or so when plugged into the Mac and about 20 hours when plugged into an AC. Same outcome. When I come back to it it won't turn on unless you unplug, and then plug back in, the USB. Then it displays the silver Apple logo again, goes off with just a faint hint of logo and black. I've done this several times and still nothing.
    :(

Oh, and iTunes won't recognise the iPhone till it's put into DFU/recovery mode. Do I need to put it into DFU/Recovery mode then leave it charging for the abnormal amount of time?

Just trying this now but it looks like the iPhone has died already. i.e the screen has gone blank.

12. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

if you are sure the battery has some charge you need to hold the power button and home button both until you see the slider, keep holding until the phone shuts off, keep holding until you see the apple logo then let go. the phone will reboot and should work. you should not have to restore the phone. like I said I have done this to several iPhones and it has worked every time! I hope it works for you.

now with all that said, if your phone has been jail broken then all bets may be off! I dont jailbreak and dont know much about it so that may change things I am not sure. if it is jailbroken you may have to restore iPhone to original and get it working as described above and then jailbreak again if you want. it is my understanding that when you jailbreak a iPhone eventually that can cause your phone to not function properly.

hope this works for you!

13. Torrs thread starter macrumors newbie

That's one of the problems. I've charged the thing for many hours but I can never get the Shut Down slider to appear, prossibly because it never gets to a point where it has booted significantly. The Apple logo has never lasted more than a couple of minutes and will only appear whilst being charged in some way (either Mac or AC). DFU/Recovery mode lasts a little longer, five minutes perhaps, but essentially the same problem. Without a direct power source it won't appear and doesn't last.

Oh, and it's not jailbroken or unlocked. It's just a basic, stock iPhone.

14. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

no this is not the case. you can do the full reboot with it pugged in also. it sounds as if you have a different issue if this is not working. if it is under warranty I will just raise all kinds heck til they give you a new one. I hope you had it backed up!

for my suggestion to work you have to hold it alot longer than 7 seconds like was earlier suggested. now another possibility if you are not able to do the reboot is the home button is not working..... I had this happen before christmas. I had to take the phone apart and replace the home button then I could put it in recovery mode. but if you have warranty and it has no water damage they will replace it.

15. guitarchordz macrumors newbie

Need help please...same issue.

Hey Chargit!
    I hope you can help me out.
    I have a similar problem:

I have had my iPhone 3gs for only about 6 months now. Not jail broken.
    This morning, it was working fine. A couple of minutes later after I used it, I turned it on silent mode. That was it...it just died after that!

I tried charging it...the only thing I can see when I plug the charger in is the 'red battery charging' screen. It stays that way for ever. It doesn't change to green.

I tried pressing the Power button and the home button together for a couple of seconds. The screen goes blank and then, back to the red battery charging screen.

Any suggestions of what I can do?
    Can you describe in more detail how to try to make it work using iTunes? I'll give that a try. iTunes did not detect my phone when I plugged it in.

Uggggghh! This is sooo frustrating!
    Hope someone can help!

16. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

how much charge is in the phone? if the phone is real low or dead sometimes you have to plug it in for a while before iTunes will see your phone. I charge my phone 99% of the time on my computer. you might want to make sure your charging port is free from any type of dirt or pocket lint to make sure it is getting a good connection to charge. these iPhones are little computers so we have to treat them as such. and they are just as finicky!!

as far as the red charging screen that is because your phone is really low. most likely it is not even turned on at this point. they shut off when it gets below10% and it starts warning you at 20% or there abouts.

hold the on/off button and home button both at the same time until you see the apple logo. it has nothing to do with time so it could take 30 seconds or more especially if your phone is low before you see the logo.

17. guitarchordz macrumors newbie

Thanks for following up on my post Chargit!
    I appreciate your help!

I kept searching around online for steps to follow and I came upon this post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=391795&page=3

This helped a lot.

Nothing I did was getting me past the red battery screen. I tried pressing down the Power and the Home button for a long time...almost 30sec also. It alwayz just came back to that screen.

The steps from the link above worked.

- Open iTunes and connect the USB cord to the computer (not the the iPhone yet).
    - Keep the Home button pressed and connect the other end of the USB to the iPhone.
    - iTunes will now detect your iPhone. This is the first time after trying a lot that I was able to go past the red battery screen and it started to charge up!
    - iTunes will perform a recovery of your iPhone to the latest backup.

So far, so good!

18. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I didnt know you wanted to restore your phone. I thought your were trying to get it to restart. but if you have you phone backed up you can do that without losing anything. as I said these are just as finicky as a computer. when you try to hold both buttons dont to reboot your phone DO NOT LOOK AT THE CLOCK! it has nothing to do with time so sometimes 30 seconds is not enough. like I said I have never had this fail but sometimes they need to be restored just like you did.

19. TJ10 macrumors member

TJ10

I'm having the exact same problem... please keep me updated on what the Apple Genius had to say!

Thanks
    TJ10