Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Since I installed 8.1.2 on my 5s, the battery is getting awfuly good. First it started with 5 hours of usage and now I get this. I didn't charge it multiple times, just once up to 100% and than I started using it. I stay on twitter a lot, facebook, safari, messages and sometimes games and the phone is always connected to my wifi. Is this an ios 8 bug or maybe a defective battery that does not indicate the correct %? The phone is bought in march 2014 and I did multiple restores, turned off the phone just to properly calibrate the battery. Sorry if this post is a bit silly, this is not a joke and I am not sarcastic.:)

Attachments

• IMG_0033.png
    IMG_0033.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 200

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It's good, but I wouldn't call that "ridiculously good"

Apple gives expectation for 8 to 10 hours of use, depending on a variety of factors.
Sounds like you get that (showing 9 hours of use, with 1% battery remaining)

Count your blessings.
I haven't found many folks who complain when their battery life is too long. :D

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012

Apple gives expectation for 8 to 10 hours of use, depending on a variety of factors.

Count your blessings.

I don't complain, it's just is't too good to be true, my r mini lasts 7 or 8 hours of usage.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

Count your blessings.

You are dismissing the fact that it also has almost 3 days of standby. The 10 hr use Apple spec does not mean you can get 10 hrs use and as much standby as you want :)

However looking at the type of usage, I would suspect this has been plugged in a few times over the course and the bug that does not show that the device has been plugged in is at play. I have that on my iP6 also. Can charge a little as long as not to like 90% and it keep on going and does not indicate it was ever plugged in. Not always though, its intermittent.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
However looking at the type of usage, I would suspect this has been plugged in a few times over the course and the bug that does not show that the device has been plugged in is at play.

No, I did not do that.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
No, I did not do that.

Well then that is ridiculously good. According to Apples spec this is where you stand:

stdby 2d 21hr = 69 hrs
usage = 9 hr

69/250hr=.276 (28% used for stdby) 9/10hr=.9 (90% used assuming wifi usage). So 100%- (28+90)= -.176 (so -18% should be on meter) so you are getting 18% more than Apples max spec. Good job.

So yeah something is wrong and not sure how DeltaMac says its not that good.......

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't get the correlation between "Battery is too good" therefore "something is wrong"

Is that to say that if the battery works too good, then there MUST be some kind of defect?
I say no defect.

(So, I'm not always good at recognizing sarcasm. I tend to try to see the best in people.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

I don't get the correlation between "Battery is too good" therefore "something is wrong"

Is that to say that if the battery works too good, then there MUST be some kind of defect?
I say no defect.

(So, I'm not always good at recognizing sarcasm. I tend to try to see the best in people.

OK I took that above statement to say that his numbers were not "that great". Misunderstood.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Since I installed 8.1.2 on my 5s, the battery is getting awfuly good. First it started with 5 hours of usage and now I get this. I didn't charge it multiple times, just once up to 100% and than I started using it. I stay on twitter a lot, facebook, safari, messages and sometimes games and the phone is always connected to my wifi. Is this an ios 8 bug or maybe a defective battery that does not indicate the correct %? The phone is bought in march 2014 and I did multiple restores, turned off the phone just to properly calibrate the battery. Sorry if this post is a bit silly, this is not a joke and I am not sarcastic.:)

Id say you had about 3 and a half hours of on screen time the most?

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Id say you had about 3 and a half hours of on screen time the most?

Not really, it's not like I just stare at the homescreen, I always use the phone and auto lock is set to 1 minute.

JeffNT326

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
NYC
OP, will you go through your general settings with us?

Things like location services settings (specifically your Apple system location services), push/fetch/manual e-mail, brightness settings (auto brightness on/off)?

Are you on LTE, 4G, 3G, Edge? And can you comment on the quality of the signal strength you generally receive?

I'm curious as to what they are because yeah, your battery life is incredibly good!

Thanks for taking your time to answer these questions!

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
OP, will you go through your general settings with us?

Things like location services settings (specifically your Apple system location services), push/fetch/manual e-mail, brightness settings (auto brightness on/off)?

Are you on LTE, 4G, 3G, Edge? And can you comment on the quality of the signal strength you generally receive?

I'm curious as to what they are because yeah, your battery life is incredibly good!

Thanks for taking your time to answer these questions!

Location services off, push off, auto brightness off, brightness at 70%, 3g is on only when I need, signal is always 1 or 2 dots

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Wow I struggle to get close to 6 hours with my iPhone 6. I've tried everything and have never seen more than 7 hours on a charge. Well, once I saw 8 and a half hours usage but I was listening to music for almost 4 hours of that.

Anyway, brightness is at 30%, location services are on, but all apps that have access to location services are set to "only while using". Mail is set to fetch, but it's hourly. However I turned it onto "Manual" to see how things go. For some reason it didn't seem like it was set to fetch hourly because when something would trigger an email to send, it would happen immediately so I'm not sure. I think a big thing is photos. That usually is at 6-8% with "Background Activity" because I have iCloud Photo Library turned on, which I want to leave on because I love the syncing of photos between my iPhone and iPad. I may turn it off though and experiment with how it affects battery life.

Last edited:

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
You've barely had the screen on OP judging by the fact that your lock screen has used the most power so would'nt call that exceptional battery life.

I really wish Apple would include screen on time in the battery statistics then maybe we would have less threads with people going "wow look at my incredible battery life" but fail to mention that the phone has been sat on a desk for 2 days unused.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
You've barely had the screen on OP judging by the fact that your lock screen has used the most power so would'nt call that exceptional battery life.

I really wish Apple would include screen on time in the battery statistics then maybe we would have less threads with people going "wow look at my incredible battery life" but fail to mention that the phone has been sat on a desk for 2 days unused.

I USED THE PHONE ALL DAY LONG, and the usage time increases only when the phone is unlocked.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I USED THE PHONE ALL DAY LONG, and the usage time increases only when the phone is unlocked.

No.... the usage time goes up when ever the phone is woken from sleep which could something as mundane as a background task such as a mail fetch.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
No.... the usage time goes up when ever the phone is woken from sleep which could something as mundane as a background task such as a mail fetch.

Fetch is off and I doubt that I stayed hours on the lock screen

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Location services off, push off, auto brightness off, brightness at 70%, 3g is on only when I need, signal is always 1 or 2 dots

Why have a good phone and turn lots of features off? Defeats the purpose. Carry a spare charger, plug it in and use it the way Apple intended. I too could have "ridiculously good" battery life if I turn on Airplane Mode. :rolleyes:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm very impressed with my ip6+, I don't even bother with a cable/charger anymore. Wake up in the morning, 25 minute ride to the gym with Waze open, 2-3 hour workout with internet streamed music over 4g, streamed to Bluetooth headphones. Another 25 minute ride with waze open to work and I'm at 70ish%. Work 8-10 hours, frequent checking of messages and emails, several phone calls. End of day drive about 45 minutes home with waze open. Get home end of night and I'm still around 40%.

Berbatov

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
My usage when my battery dies is around 5-6 hours. Is that average for ios 8? I feel it was much more on ios 7. I remember going up to 11 hours of usage.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Why have a good phone and turn lots of features off? Defeats the purpose. Carry a spare charger, plug it in and use it the way Apple intended. I too could have "ridiculously good" battery life if I turn on Airplane Mode. :rolleyes:

Why keep them all on when I barely use them. For example, location services is on only when I need.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk

Totally agree.

Now I turn off diagnostics settings etc but I remember a while ago another's persons best tip about battery.

"Turn off the % sign and enjoy the phone. "

Best tip I've ever used. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.