Is my iPhone unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbf1138, Sep 11, 2015.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

I buy the new iPhone every year at full price, since I have an unlimited data plan with Verizon and I don't want to lose it.

Is the iPhone 6 I bought from Verizon last year, that I use off-contract, an unlocked phone? For example, when I sell ti via a site like Swappa, can I sell it as unlocked or is it still considered "Verizon?"

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It is unlocked, the FCC requires all Verizon phones to be unlocked. There was one thread on here a while ago that suggested that there might have been an error where some weren't unlocked, but that isn't likely to effect yours.

3. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

So in what situation would someone sell their phone, on Swappa, Gazelle, Ebay, etc. as a "Verizon" phone vs. unlocked?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The main reason to advertise it as Verizon is so that people will know that it actually works on Verizon. While Verizon will activate factory unlocked phones on their network that has been a recent change in policy so not everyone out there knows that an unlocked phone will work on Verizon. On the other hand most everyone who has done enough research to know they want an unlocked phone will know that the Verizon ones are unlocked so I'd recommend advertising it as a Verizon phone, if you want to make sure you get everyone you could advertise it as Verizon and unlocked.