Is my iPhone's backup the reason for my battery issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by newyorksole, Jan 4, 2010.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Hey everyone, so I have an iPhone 3GS, had it since day 1. And the battery has been great up until a couple months ago.

It used to take an hour of usage for my battery to hit 90% [muisc listening, safari browsing, texting], but now after an hour my battery gets to 77% with LIGHT usage.

I turned brightness all the way down, turned off wi-fi, push and 3G and was still having battery issues.

I got my phone swapped for a new one at the Genius Bar today and am still having battery issues. Could it be that I need to set up my phone as a new phone instead of restoring from backup?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's always possible. Sometimes weird things happen with those restorations from backup.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you're worried about it just restore as new. It's really not a big deal if you have everything synced (unless you don't want to lose game saves). There are a number of threads dealing with the battery issues from restoring from a backup from a 3G to a 3GS. You could also reset all settings and see if that helps your battery, since you won't lose game saves. A number of posters have verified that reset all settings worked for them.

4. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Alright thanks! And if I "Rest All Settings" what exactly does it erase off of my iPhone?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Doesn't "erase" anything. It's a reset (please don't click on erase, okay). What it will do is make you have to reenter your password for wifi and will jumble all your icons to default. Also, you'll have to reenter your VVM password.

6. montush macrumors newbie

I had the exact same issue last month and the genius asked me to restore as new (not from backup). The battery life is back to normal - or maybe even better that before.

However, I had to deal with the pain of restoring all application data (logins / stock lists / weather cities etc.) and settings like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.