Is my ipod Fake?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Woofie2010, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Woofie2010, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Woofie2010 macrumors member

Woofie2010

So i replaced my 2nd Gen ipod touch with the 4th gen. I brough this one from ebay (I now know never to buy electronic on there again)

Anyway, it looks like a normal ipod, uses itunes etc, however whats got my questing if its fake is that twice, i gone to wake it up or unlock it and it will crash on my, and she the apple logo with sort of a spinning thing like robooting it up, but quicker.

I've seen that happen on my jailbroken 2nd gen but my 4th is not Jailbroken and i've never seen iOS do that.

Also my battery is strange, it never hold the charge for long, like if i connect it to Wifi for like 30sec when fully charge 1 bar will go straight away. Also you charge it and it will come up as fully charged with a plug, then 2sec later it will drop down a bar and start charging.

Also i don't know if its a itunes problem but it happen with old ipod too, you put cover album in and on lock screen it will eirther show another cover or not cover, and when you unlock it changes to right cover.

What do you think?

fake or not?

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

From your descriptions, it sounds like the iPod is resetting itself, the battery is shot. The album art issue I've heard of before but not sure if there's a fix. You can try restoring/updating the iPod for the resetting and album art issue, but the battery isn't user-serviceable.

If you have doubts as to whether it's a legit iPod or not, you can try checking the validity of the serial number via the warranty checker site at https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Go to Settings->General->About to retrieve the serial number to fill in.

If it's a valid serial it should still be within warranty because the 4th gen was introduced September 1st 2010.

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Technically it was released on September 8th but it wouldn't make a difference. :p

5. Woofie2010 thread starter macrumors member

Woofie2010

Well my ipod tested legit.

Does anyone know how i can fix/help some of my issues.

My wifi is turn off when not using, my brightness is a low as possabile for my liking....

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Make sure that you are at the latest iOS version. I don't remember exactly, but there were previous version of 4.x (4.1?) that caused a severe battery drain on my 4G. I had to put it into airplane mode to get back to normal battery usage. 4.3.x has been fine.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

8. AlphaDogg, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I think that will fix all/most of his problems.

Edit:

It looks like an iPod, works like an iPod and smells like an iPod. It's obviously fake. [/sarcasm]

9. Woofie2010 thread starter macrumors member

Woofie2010

Do you recommend a full restore, or a restore from back up?

10. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

1. Connect to iTunes
    2. Backup the iPod
    3. Click Restore
    4. When the iPod restarts iTunes will give you the option to restore from a backup or setup as a new iPod, choose setup as new iPod.

This should solve your problems. If not book an appointment with an apple genius at an apple store.

11. Woofie2010 thread starter macrumors member

Woofie2010

Does this mean i will lose my stage in Angry birds? D:

12. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

If u back up and restore from back up then no or else yes.

13. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

first world problem.

14. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

If you set it up as a new iPod, yes. I would try setting it up from your back up and if that doesn't work set it up as a new iPod.

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Do a fresh restore. The person that sold you the ipod probably abused the crap outta the battery (plug/unplug).