Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freesafety206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
Currently my ipod won't sync at all. It just freezes when I try to.
I want to know if I restore it will it sync again, or is it completely done
I ran the hard drive diagnostics and got this result
its a 160gb ipod classic
retracts 6
reallocs 2720
pending sectors 248
poweron hours 249
start/stops 113949
temp current 31c
temp min 7c
temp max 51c

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
A new drive is like $129 for iFixIt. You can get a 120GB drive for like $75. If the iPod is in good shape its worth replacing. Pretty easy to do.

freesafety206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
A new drive is like $129 for iFixIt. You can get a 120GB drive for like $75. If the iPod is in good shape its worth replacing. Pretty easy to do.

My ipod is pretty much in perfect shape outside of this hard drive so I was considering replacing the hard drive if need be.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom

Yes your HDD is in a bad way but why spend $129 for a new drive for something that will break again, If it still comes on to the main menu you can go to an apple store, see a genius and ask for a battery replacement I think it something like $49 and they will give you a refurb unit but it will have a new HDD, outside casing and battery (assuming its a 160gb late 2009 model and not the earlier 160gb)

If you don't want to do that Flash memory is the way to go if your happy with your current storage space then something like a 128GB SD card would be your cheapest way to go but have a look at https://www.iflash.xyz for more info

freesafety206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
Yes your HDD is in a bad way but why spend $129 for a new drive for something that will break again, If it still comes on to the main menu you can go to an apple store, see a genius and ask for a battery replacement I think it something like $49 and they will give you a refurb unit but it will have a new HDD, outside casing and battery (assuming its a 160gb late 2009 model and not the earlier 160gb)

If you don't want to do that Flash memory is the way to go if your happy with your current storage space then something like a 128GB SD card would be your cheapest way to go but have a look at https://www.iflash.xyz for more info

A battery replacement? I've never heard of asking about this.
I had a similar issue with my older ipod classic and when I went to the apple store they simply told me because the warranty was up the only thing I could do is buy another ipod. I've never been back to the apple store since.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
A battery replacement? I've never heard of asking about this.
I had a similar issue with my older ipod classic and when I went to the apple store they simply told me because the warranty was up the only thing I could do is buy another ipod. I've never been back to the apple store since.

Yeah have a look hear https://support.apple.com/ipod/repair/service/pricing they only support their products for service for 5 years from the discontinuation. But you do need a genius bar appoiment to do this, you can't just walk in.

In all the times i've done it here in the UK they only visually look over the device because genius bars are so busy they don't have the time to test in store.

Last edited:

freesafety206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
Yeah have a look hear https://support.apple.com/ipod/repair/service/pricing they only support their products for service for 5 years from the discontinuation. But you do need a genius bar appoiment to do this, you can't just walk in.

In all the times i've done it here in the UK they only visually look over the device because genius bars are so busy they don't have the time to test in store.
I remember calling ahead and being told that I could get my ipod fixed for like $40 or something so I made an appointment and when I got there the guy was like oh your 1 year warranty ran out..you gotta buy a new one and we'll give you $10 off..such crap.
I'll look into this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.