Is my keyboard broken?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MaximusUK, Jul 21, 2010.

1. MaximusUK macrumors newbie

Hi, Im pretty new to mac so a little unsure about the issue at hand. I bought an ibook without an OS installed. So I put in a setup CD but cant get it to load by holding C. This initially made me question the CD. but I then realised I wasnt able to eject it by holding fn and f12. Also the caps light wouldnt toggle on and off when I hit it, though i am unsure if this light works when there is no OS installed. My question is: is the keyboard not working?

Thanks for any help

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Try holding down the Option key when you power it on.

3. MaximusUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Holding down the option (alt) key doesnt do anything. It doesnt take me to the boot screen. There is no OS on it. Just a flashing question mark

4. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

first may i say you don't need to press fn+ f12 as f12 is the ⏏ key fn + f12 will work as f12, from what you said it looks like 1 of 3 things
    1) dead keyboard
    2)keyboard ribbon cable unplugged (lift up the keyboard, remove airport card if installed, remove the 2 small screws and takeout the ram shield you should see 3 cables on the right side the biggest one is the keyboard)
    3)crack the keyboard ribbon cable

5. MaximusUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Maxxy thanks for your advice. Ive had a look inside and cant seem to diagnose the problem. The start up sound also cuts in and out so I think it may be a problem with the logic board.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Holding down the trackpad button at startup will eject the CD. Do you have a USB keyboard? Any keyboard will work even a PC keyboard so try that to at least install the OS.