Is my laptop over heating?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aditghai, Nov 13, 2009.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Hi,
    My sister just bought a Refurb dell studio 1640. I was using it just to check it out, and I noticed the fan or the HDD was spinning continously. So, I download this s/w call HDD Life pro and it said the HDD was about to die.

Well enough, I called DELL and they sent a new Hard Drive. I installed it, but the noise is still there. So, I thought it has to be the fan malfunctioning. So, to check the temperature, I dloaded this program called SpeedFan.

Please check the picture. Do you think this is a normal operating temperature, or should I get a new heat sink for her laptop.

BTW-I know this is a Mac Forum, but people over here are so much more helpful on Windows forums.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Speedfan is essentially telling you you're overheating the processor (note the flame symbols on each of the temp locs). Your processor should normally run below 40 degrees C. A maximum is around 60 desgrees C. It should shutdown if you exceed the built-in temperature, so you shouldn't be able to fry the processor. Anyway, your fan is not working or you have a poor heat sink connection to the processor.

3. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Thanks for the reply. This happened only when the computer was upgraded from Windows Vista 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit. Can going to 64 bit or Windows 7 be causing this problem?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Does it always run at around 50% CPU? That could explain the high temps also.

5. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, it comes down to whether the Core 2 Duo is meant for 64 bit processing. IDK if it is. You could google it to see. If not, there's your problem, possibly.

7. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Well
    it's a Core 2 Duo. P7350. How would I know if it will support 64 bit processing?

8. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

well i looked it up, and attached a screenshot. So, it must be the heatsink right?

Attached Files:

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Where's the screenshot that says it supports 64 bit?

Edit: Your shot took awhile. Okay, then it must be the heatsink or the fan from what I can tell. Did you install it?

10. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

No-it came with the computer. I called DELL, and they asked me to upgrade the BIOS. Did that-did not help. So, now they are sending a technican to install the heatsink and a fan.

Thank god for On-site support.

Oh-And thank you for your help

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Is the fan running, BTW?

12. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Yes, the fan is running. I can feel it blowing hot air on the back of the computer(where the vent is)

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, well at least they're going to fix it for you. Good luck.

14. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai