Is my laptop too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrf097, Dec 22, 2011.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I was reading the topic about how someone's Macbook was really hot and the fan was really loud.

My fan isn't really loud but I do leave it on for a great deal of the day, sometimes overnight, and it can get hot. I wanted to make sure that my laptop wasn't too hot. The numbers I got surprised me because they look high. Am I in trouble or are these temperatures normal?

[​IMG]

This laptop is brand new.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If the temps got dangerous, then the processor would shut off. Just make sure there is some space around the vents and you should be fine.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps are normal and your fans are at their lowest speed. Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

4. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

So my numbers are normal then?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.

6. simsaladimbamba

If they are in Fahrenheit: YES.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If there in Centigrade then water might start boiling...

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're Centigrade, or the CPU would have shut down long ago. (Remember, this is Earth we're talking about, not the Saturn Mac forum!) :D

9. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

if u crack an egg and put it on the underside and it starts to cook. its prbably to hot. thats the ONLY sure fire way to know if its to hot

cool beans

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, that's well within the normal operating range! :D

11. simsaladimbamba

Ornithology is not my strong suit, though I would prefer Kelvin.

And Saturn is sooo behind its moons, let's talk about Kepler-20.

12. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

OK OK I get it :)

Just wanted to make sure I was OK. :p

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yeah, you haven't worn that suit in years! It probably doesn't even fit you, now that you've gained all those..... posts! :D

14. simsaladimbamba

Did you want to SAY "SPAM"? If so, look at you and your countiness, if that is even a word. Anyway, my iMac currently has a temperature of 316 Kelvin and all it does, is displaying the ****ing Forum Spy. And the power is back on.
    Uih, I got two quote notifications. I should rush over there using IE via Windows 3.5 in my Linux enabled VM and check them the **** out. Or as bunny, the kussing Sid, would say, "Let's get this **************** outta here.".

15. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Ya, yours is fine, my average operating temp on mine is 180, i've been able to get it up to 215 once when I was doing editing on FCPX. Time to upgrade my 13" 2009 to a 15" 2012