Is my late 2008 MBP on its way out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sam5281, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Sam5281 macrumors regular

Hello

Just did clean OS mavericks install in hopes it would feel like a new machine, but doesn't. I notice most on restarts, there is a hesitation, and sometimes doesn't chime. There is hesitation in web browsing (not sure if related) Is it time for an upgrade?

Specs are:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    8gb 1067 MHz DDR3
    macbook pro 5.1

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Look at the console logs after a reboot to see if there's any errors.

Seeing a lag in safari is not indicative of the machine on its way out. There's just not enough information to make that call. Also go into the Disk Utility (Found in the Utility folder within Applications) and see what the SMART status is and maybe check to see if there's any errors.

3. Sam5281 thread starter macrumors regular

Should have been more specific : boot up of safari etc (not actual browsing)

SMART status: Verified

(Not sure where to get log info)

4. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I have the same exact machine as you, upgraded to 8gb also. I just replaced the battery last week after mine got fried (bloated). I think it's definitely the time to replace the HDD with an SSD....hesitations with both read/write actions is probably a sign of imminent death. Otherwise the machine is rock solid! Here's to another 5 years of use! :cool:

5. Sam5281 thread starter macrumors regular

I too just replaced the battery and charger.

Need to educate myself further on SSDs and figure out if investing in one for this computer will outweigh purchasing a new MBP.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Depends on how much disk space you need. The 256gb Samsung 840 Evo is only $135 at Amazon. If you need 512($260) or 1TB($450) then the price goes up quickly. Probably not a good economic choice to put a 1TB SSD in there.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

A new Crucial M500 is about $110 for 240 GB - and on a Mid-2010 you're capped out anyway.

Go for a SSD - it'll give your Mac a new lease on life, as you have a very good machine.

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I would agree with everyone else on here. Definitely consider an SSD. If you can get a 256GB that might be enough and it will make your computer faster.

I would also consider an external 1TB Western Digital hard drive which you can use with any computer you buy in the future. Worthy investment for those pictures you never look at.

9. Sam5281, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

Sam5281 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input

Also I use a OWC Mercury elite pro - external HD.

10. Sam5281 thread starter macrumors regular

Will there be issue with Nvidia 9400m graphics card with Photoshop/Lightroom/ and utilizing a high resolution monitor for photo editing>?