Is my Logic Board the problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aksmac, Dec 1, 2008.

1. aksmac macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm really hoping someone can help. Ill try and be as concise as possible:

Whilst trying to upgrade my RAM something went horribly wrong. At the moment my MBP is stuck at the grey screen and spinning wheel.

The drive doesnt show up in target mode although disk warrior recognised it and scanned it for files but couldnt access them nor the drive.
    I've tried booting off a HD with OS X installed, that doesnt work.
    I've reset the RAM (Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys), nada.
    I've tried the install disks for a diagnostics (hold 'D' at startup), nothing.
    I've also tried the install disks to load OS X back onto the MBP but the drive doesnt show up.

I've taken the MBP to Apple Store who want to charge me to diagnose, although he said from what I've told him it suggests a shorted logic board.

Please can someone advise me if this IS the logic board or if its soemthing else. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
    A

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

have you tried it without the new ram? merely installing ram is not going to "short out" your logic board unless you did something during that process to make it happen.

and btw...why do you seem upset that an apple tech. would charge you to find out what the problem is? should they do it for free?

3. aksmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Im using just the 1Gb original module in the top slot, RAM in the the other caddy gives a flashing light. Would faulty RAM still let the MBP load up to the grey screen?

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

What kind of RAM is it? Can you run Apple Hardware Test from boot CD's?

5. aksmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a NANYA stick. Yes, I can boot off the install disks but it doesnt recognise the HD.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So your hard drive is dead.

7. aksmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I'd accept that, but then any idea why its not booting up from an external HD with OS X installed?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I think the EFI extensions to boot from an external are written to the internal drive, so no functional internal drive means no boot.

9. aksmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Right got my MBP back from Apple who said they had run various diagnosis on the machine and found two main faults. 1, intermittent fault with the logic board. He said he did a loop test and the computer crashed after about 40 loops. 2, the HD connectors to the logic board were also causing a problem. He said he couldnt give me a print out of the diagnostics but I wasnt completely satisfied with what he was telling me. It still seemed pretty vague. So I asked for the HD to be removed and now the pro boots off an install disk and from and external HD with OS X installed, strange?

So I'm now using the pro from an external HD after cloning my old drive as it seemed dead although I was very tempted to use my old HD as an external boot drive.

Thanks for all your help, but it seems this one isnt going to be solved!

A

10. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Is the MBP out of warranty? Why didn't Apple fix the problems that you mentioned?