Is my logic correct? Your opinions please...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hmo66, Jun 17, 2011.

1. hmo66 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 2011 MBP 17. Purchased a vertex 3 SSD and had the known problems, did the aluminum foil trick which worked but I did not feel comfortable to reliably leave it waiting or trying other means to permanently resolve the issue.

So I exchanged it with a SATA 2 Samsung 470 and I am about to install it. My logic is that I am better installing the SSD in the optibay and leave the HD in it's original place to benefit from sudden movement sensor and safer location...

Is my logic correct?

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

No the SSD should go in the original HDD spot, and the HDD should be relocated to the optibay.

3. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

vipergts2207

It shouldn't matter since the drive is only SATA II.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

There are reported problems with SOME mbp's waking from sleep because OSX wants to boot from the HDD slot, not the optibay. Since the SSD is your boot drive it's recommended to put it in the HDD slot and switch the HDD to the optibay.

Also, even though I personally don't think the slots make a difference in regards to movement or vibration, imo, i'd rather have the much more expensive SSD in the HDD slot, if one spot is more susceptible to drive malfunction I would definitely want the very inexpensive HDD in that slot. Plus it's less likely to have your crucial information or data on it, probably just media files.

5. hmo66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody, I'll take your recommendation....

6. sunnyj macrumors 6502

i have the SSD in the optibay and no problems