Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
We are always surrounded by my android users who say that iphone uses dual core processors and less RAM while today's phones have an octa core processor or quad core and much more RAM

I always give an answer in the following manner, I just wanted to know that what im saying is logical or not..

I tell them that, sure the quad core processors are great innovation but in phones, it's not that needed. In phones it only matters for a few milliseconds.. Apple doesn't do heavy specs, but instead they bring the most out if the existing one.. That's what they did with A- series chips, they merged different components like processors and graphics chip and all and made it into 1 single chip.. They use that chip to the fullest..

For eg. Think of the processors As a person running... A dual core processor has the capacity to run upto 10 miles while an quad core has the capacity to run 15 miles.. What apple does, is that they use the dual core processor and manage it to make it run upto 8-9 miles, while other companies, go till 5-6 and then just change the processor to get it to run 9-10 ..

Apple tries to innovate and use the existing capacity, while others just buy a little more expensive processor and increase their capacity..

As for the RAM, apple has always updated their phones with the required RAM.. They just don't add ram to the phone when it's not required.. You can compare the iphone 5 with the phone that has 1 or 2 GB ram, and 100% the iphone going to run just as great as the other for a consumer, yeah sure for the people who are tooo much into computers and phones, they may have a slight problem, but that'll be like when many many apps are open but still iphone even though having less ram can be as good as the phone with 2GB or 4 GB ram...

It may not matter with huge specs on a phone since it's small, only a millisecond's difference might be there, these big specs should be mostly be used on PC, where apple actually goes big using the latest processors and graphics chip, because there the difference even if small, is noticeable easily.. Not the case on phones...

That's the answer I give , is it logical?.. Please tell me wherever I'm wrong and don't have a go at me.. Thank you

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
Looks logical to me. You have to also remember that those "octo core" processors are generally not even made by the same company.

The thing about Apple that a lot of Android users either don't know or decide to ignore is that Apple is very involved in how their devices are made. With the iOS side of things, they oversee pretty much the entire assembly. So they know what kind of hardware they need to push the software right. I'm reminded of what Steve Jobs once said - "If a company wants to have great software, they should make their own hardware" which was a quote from someone else already. But it makes sense.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I just prefer their products. I think Android has come a long way since the days of the Evo and it's atrocious and laughable battery life. Android is a cool OS and it does different things than iOS. But I have NEVER used an Android device that "just worked."

And that's why I prefer Apple. Maybe it does use a "dated" processor. Maybe it does have lessor ram. But it, just, works.

We are always surrounded by my android users who say that iphone uses dual core processors and less RAM while today's phones have an octa core processor or quad core and much more RAM

I always give an answer in the following manner, I just wanted to know that what im saying is logical or not..

I tell them that, sure the quad core processors are great innovation but in phones, it's not that needed. In phones it only matters for a few milliseconds.. Apple doesn't do heavy specs, but instead they bring the most out if the existing one.. That's what they did with A- series chips, they merged different components like processors and graphics chip and all and made it into 1 single chip.. They use that chip to the fullest..

For eg. Think of the processors As a person running... A dual core processor has the capacity to run upto 10 miles while an quad core has the capacity to run 15 miles.. What apple does, is that they use the dual core processor and manage it to make it run upto 8-9 miles, while other companies, go till 5-6 and then just change the processor to get it to run 9-10 ..

Apple tries to innovate and use the existing capacity, while others just buy a little more expensive processor and increase their capacity..

As for the RAM, apple has always updated their phones with the required RAM.. They just don't add ram to the phone when it's not required.. You can compare the iphone 5 with the phone that has 1 or 2 GB ram, and 100% the iphone going to run just as great as the other for a consumer, yeah sure for the people who are tooo much into computers and phones, they may have a slight problem, but that'll be like when many many apps are open but still iphone even though having less ram can be as good as the phone with 2GB or 4 GB ram...

It may not matter with huge specs on a phone since it's small, only a millisecond's difference might be there, these big specs should be mostly be used on PC, where apple actually goes big using the latest processors and graphics chip, because there the difference even if small, is noticeable easily.. Not the case on phones...

That's the answer I give , is it logical?.. Please tell me wherever I'm wrong and don't have a go at me.. Thank you

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sounds like you have to "defend" your iPhone to those who worship specs above all else.

Personally I have never engaged in the level of arcane debate in person that I read on these forums.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Optimization.
Apple makes their own processors and optimize the OS around it.
Androids piece their hardware together with nowhere near the same level of optimization.

Also, Objective-C garbage collection is much faster than Java's, which in turn almost always makes faster applications for the end user :)

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009

They don't even use the chip to the fullest. They under clock the CPU. It might be to do with heat issues in the battery, but the CPU is not clocked to the highest it can go. It is true that they configure the hardware to be as efficient as they can get it, but they don't use the full engine power it has available.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

What I fin not logical is the fact that you have these conversations with people at all. I cant imagine myself engaging in this conversation with people, unless im on a tech board.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
the fact that iPhone is still running better is the proof you need. anyway i would stop play this androidvsapple games..

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
They don't even use the chip to the fullest. They under clock the CPU. It might be to do with heat issues in the battery, but the CPU is not clocked to the highest it can go. It is true that they configure the hardware to be as efficient as they can get it, but they don't use the full engine power it has available.

Ok are you talking about apple or other android phones?

----------

What I fin not logical is the fact that you have these conversations with people at all. I cant imagine myself engaging in this conversation with people, unless im on a tech board.
Hahaha #well I'm quite a bit into tech soo...

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I try to stay as far away from Android users as possible. With that said, there's a sort of curiosity I carry with me. Imagine what it would be like to actually mate with one of them.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Ok are you talking about apple or other android phones?

----------

Hahaha #well I'm quite a bit into tech soo...

Apple, but I'm sure most manufacturers under-clock their devices. There are jailbreaks that let you adjust the CPU for iPhone. It could cause it to overheat though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.