Is my Mac at risk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rintherin, Feb 13, 2013.

1. rintherin macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im new here.

I bought an imac in december and im learning how to handle this.

Few days ago i was on the internet and when i shut a window i saw my webcam was switched on. I saw my image in the deskto. As i shut this app down imediatelly, i didn t see what the app was it. I imagine it was phototobooth.

Now im worried about being invaded.

I scanned my computer with three anti virus. There aren t any trojans or other malwares in it.

But, i wanna know whether its possible someone have invaded my computer by my IP number.

If yes, the invasor could open apps in my desktop?

Im really paranoid.

Help me.

Thanks.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Nothing to worry about here. You probably launched photobooth inadvertently. Anti-virus software is really not necessary on a Mac but it's a very good idea to disable Java and Flash and only enable them on specific sites where you absolutely need them. I use the "click to play" setting in Chrome and I almost never click to enable plug-ins.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, if you ever use antivirus on Windows or Mac, you should never install more than one at a time, as they can cause conflicts with other AV apps and produce false positives.

Second, 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Third, the likelihood of an average Mac user having their computer hacked is ridiculously remote. In 5 years of reading "My Mac got hacked!" threads in this forum, not a single one ever was.

When something happens on your Mac that you don't expect or understand, malware and hacking should be the very last things you suspect, if you practice safe computing.