Is my Mac Dual G5 PPC up to snuff

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andrew07, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

My Mac Dual 2.0 G5 is 3/4 years old now and seems to be running a tad slower than when it was brand new (while my PC which is the same age is so slow I'm considering turning it into a footrest). It seems there are tons of cool Mac apps that can test performance speed, etc. Is there anything out there that could run such a ''performance'' test on my G5?

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Have you ever re-installed the OS? Wiping the drive clean makes the machine feel new again.

4. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Very cool! On my PowerMac G5 (June 2004) I got 100.71 then 104.09. The average at Xbench was 101.20. Ive been considering wiping the drive for a bit now, but the results don't look too terrible. I use my comp for audio recording, and if I wiped my drive I would have to download dozens and dozens of plug-in installers which might be a pain to reinstall. I'm also toying with the idea of adding another GB of ram. Right now I have 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Ram boosts performance alone. You can upgrade up to 8 gigs of ram in that G5.

Running an app like Onyx helps out the machine by clearing out crap.

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Dual G5

I went from a machine just like yours (but with 4GB of RAM) to a Dual 2.66GHz Intel Mac Pro with the standard 1GB of RAM.

The G5 felt faster.

My bit of advice, go to Crucial, place two 2GB sticks of RAM in that G5 and Erase & Install. I honestly didn't think I was using the same machine.

F

7. Gav macrumors regular

You should considering formatting, I got an XBench score of 104.8 (let down by the hard drive access tests :( ) on a

Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
    X1600 128MB Graphics
    1.5GB RAM
    160GB Hard Drive

With Firefox, iTunes, Mail, QUicktime, Keynote, Skype, Safari, Skitch and Adium running in the bacground.

Personally, I think your PowerMac could probably do better.

8. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I run Disk Utility and Onyx quite often.

What does formatting my drive mean?

How do I ''Erase and Install?'' I have one disc that came with my computer but I'm not sure if I have the Tiger installation disc...I think a fresh install might be good, and the reinstallation of programs won't be TOO bad...took me about 3-4 days getting everything onto my Macbook Pro

9. Gav macrumors regular

Formatting means wiping/erasing and installing.

Your disk that came with your mac should be a tiger disk.

10. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

You need to boot from that Tiger installation Disc so you can perform an Erase and Install. Make sure you uncheck all the crap you don't want installed such as languages and printer drivers.

Formatting the drive means "Erase and Install".

11. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the GREAT advice, everybody. Plan on purchasing some more RAM then doing a fresh install :)

12. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any suggestions as to what 1GB sticks to get (would like 2)?

13. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions