Is my Mac getting old?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilkenton, Jun 3, 2014.

1. pilkenton macrumors member

pilkenton

I play a few games on Facebook. While I am logged on, I'll open another window to look at other things. Lately, If I'm logged onto a Facebook game, I can't watch YouTube videos-and vice-versa. It's only recently started doing that.There is nothing on my start-up, and I have only a few apps. I still have over 400 GBs still available.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Yes your G4 Mini is getting old. No wait. You didn't say you had a G4 Mini. What Mac do you have and what OS are you running? How much RAM do you have? Chrome uses a lot of memory, especially if you leave dozens of tabs open.

BTW, watching youtube videos is often problematic because of: flash OR your isp OR free memory on your Mac Or your browser OR your browser plugins OR flash. (flash is twice as likely to cause slowdowns so I listed it twice) Are you watching them in the adobe flash player or in the html5 player? Is your browser Safari, Chrome, or something else? Do you have a lot of browser add ons? Is the Facebook game flash based?

3. pilkenton thread starter macrumors member

pilkenton

4. kelon111 macrumors 6502

That still doesn't tell us the amount of RAM you have or any other important factors.

A 2009 Mac should be fine for basic tasks. It's not too old...
    You just aren't telling us everything we need to know.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Nothing you mentioned goes beyond the capabilities of a 2009 Mac of any type. Sometimes the older ones get sluggish with the newest OS, but the differences between OSX versions aren't that interesting.

6. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Does it do everything you want it to? If so, no its not.