Is my Mac infected?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marty1990, Jul 11, 2013.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

A friend sent me a link to a forum known as hackforums.net. I went to open it and my anti virus came up with this:

[​IMG]

I use VirusBarrier X6, though I haven't updated it in a while. Anyway, I couldn't get on the site, so figured it must be a dodgy site. I pasted the link into Webutation and Norton Safe Web, and each time I did that same warning appeared. I 'ignored' the warnings on Webutation etc., and each of the sites came back as being clean.

Now I'm a bit paranoid in case something has accessed my computer, as I have a lot of important files on here.

Also, is that site a bad site? I probably should have assumed it was with the URL :/

What's the deal? Is it a proper warning, or is it likely the site was safe? I have no idea what he was attempting to show me, because I haven't touched the link after the warning.

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Then store those files/folders on encrypted disk images.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

To start, its a hackers website, so one should expect the potential for unsavory things on it, whether one downloads anything or not. Merely loading a page can have malicious things occur.

If you heeded the warning and did not visit the page, you should be alright.

In the mean time, this page may be a worthwhile read.

Mac Virus/Malware Info