Is my Mac Mini 64 Bit? How will this affect Leopard install?

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Hi, I am curious I know Leopard is a 64 bit software and that Steve Jobs said that most macs are 64 bit , but the keynote is most, I assume that mac mini is not included in this figure. If it is not 64 bit, then are there any features that will not work well with Leopard?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
the latest version of the mini is 64 bit.

can't comment on what you'll lose by having an older version...

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Hi, I am curious I know Leopard is a 64 bit software and that Steve Jobs said that most macs are 64 bit , but the keynote is most, I assume that mac mini is not included in this figure. If it is not 64 bit, then are there any features that will not work well with Leopard?
What are the specs of your mac mini?

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
Even if your Mini is the older "Core Duo" 32 bit CPU it won't pose any problems for Leopard. The primary advantage of 64 bit (from a software standpoint) is the ability to address greater than 4GB of RAM (which you can't fit into a mini anyway).

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
look at his sig....he's got the C2D version, so to answer his question, yes, your mini is 64-bit
oh good that makes me feel better. I just bought my Mac Mini on August 27th so it is fairly new, and I fully loaded it with 2.0 GHz and 2.0 GB Ram. So maybe I am all set for the upgrade. I preordered already. Thanks for the comments everyone.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Even if your Mini is the older "Core Duo" 32 bit CPU it won't pose any problems for Leopard. The primary advantage of 64 bit (from a software standpoint) is the ability to address greater than 4GB of RAM (which you can't fit into a mini anyway).
oh well, at least it is 64 bit and I fully loaded it to max so I did what I could. I am still very happy with my Mac Mini. It is way better than my pc I use to use. :)

fourpaws1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
fourpaws1

If you have a new version of the mini, I am sure you can go to 4GB. However, you need two 2GB chips, and they are not cheap. Last year's version of the mini, I don't know.

maciekskontakt

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Not only. I would say that primary advantage is the fact that some applications require 64-bit processor regardless of memory size. Such application is Parallels Desktop 7. You cannot install it on Core Duo anymore (in version 7).

Also Core Duo does not have VT (virtualization) flag mode while 64-bit Core 2 Duo has so VM software is taking advantage of this mode.

I run 1-2 VMs of different systems on my Mini for number of reasons (mainly experimantation but not only) and I have about 10 installations (Windows old and newer, some Linux distibutions, Solaris e.t.c.)

Also performance is something that improves in certain aspects(in some more than in the others):
http://blog.arttaylor.com/?sort=&se...pgrade-success-finally-or-do-i-speak-too-soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.