Is my Mac Pro Hot?.....literaly!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kitki83, Jun 27, 2007.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

I came back from work and was checking on system and saw the temperatures here on my widget. Are these bad temperatures?

Thank you

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

If anything, I would be worried about that northbridge ... maybe try different widgets to compare.

All the other stuff seems normal enough.

* Clarification: Your widget might not be measuring temperature correctly, so check with multiple widgets or other applications.

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

5. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I really hope that's in F.. in that case, it's really cool

if it's in F, it looks OK apart from the northbridge

if it's in C, you realize you can boil water off your CPU... yeah uh.

6. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Wait I'm being stupid, if it were C his computer would've stopped working and he couldn't take the screen shot.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

The north-bridge is pushing the upper limits. That is your only concern. But it SHOULD be ok at that temperature. But i would not want it any warmer. If anything cooling it down would be good. I am not sure what its operating temperature for this motherboard is. But anything above 80-90C isn't good.

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

For Fahrenheit, everything but the northbridge is running pretty cool. 170f+ under load is pretty standard for the processors, and 100f is cool as a cucumber.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

uummm any ideas why his comp is running so hot??? dust collecting??

are u folding or anything and hve cpu at 100% constantly?/

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, everything looks good except for that Northbridge.

Does anyway know....where exactly is the Northbridge heatsink on the Mac Pro? Is it sealed under the heatsinks with the CPUS?

Could dust be a cause of higher temps on the northbridge?

Original poster: What was your machine doing when you took the screenshot of the temps?

-Kevin

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I think its the heat sink beside the PCI-E slots. Not certain though. Thats just logically where it would be.

12. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I thought the Northbridge was under the large(ish) heatsink in the the top left of the RAM cage.

13. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone,

I leave my computer on all the time. The only thing I always leave on is bit torrents and thats about it. When I am done designing I close everything and do my back ups. Thats the only thing running. I do have to point out I have dust build up all the time in my room, I have to constantly Air Dust Mac Pro weekly. Is maybe that theres an area where dust built up I cannot clean?

Thanks for the information.

14. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

My northbridge gets that hot as well (176°f) at the moment, i dunno if thats a good thing or a bad thing!

my ram gets pretty toasty as well ¬_¬ (145°f)

and yes, this is taken from iStat pro as well

15. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

My CPU's both run 91-95F
    Memory A1/A2 125-130F
    NorthBridge 142F

16. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Except for the Northbridge my numbers look about the same, my Northbridge is about 40 degrees cooler than OP.

17. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

18. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I've been video encoding for the last few hours my current temps are (in degC):

CPU's 45, 48
    Ambient 22
    Northbridge 78
    HD 31
    Memory 44, 47.

That northbridge seems pretty warm (172 degF), but hopefully nothing to worry about, hopefully.

19. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I cleaned out my Mac Pro, so far I was able to drop the temperature by 10-20(degF). Is there a manual or Apple release with actual numbers?

I will post updated picture when I get home from work.
    But my question is does it make a difference having my computer on the floor, slightly elevated or on my desk make a difference? I should post my desktop I guess its setup bad.

[​IMG]

20. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

ok somehow I had to make a new post to add this picture. This is from a hot day in Calif, but temp did drop somewhat from my cleaning. Should this be something I should take it in?

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think thats pretty average... but im used to working in C, that doesnt make any diff tho. actually those are pretty cool..i think

22. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Except for the Northbridge Temp, it looks OK. I'm also in CA sitting through the heatwave, here are my temps:

Attached Files:

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

northbridhe doesnt lok that bad... i spose 160-170 and id get a bit anxious,.,

haha heatwave, wats the temp and humidity there???

winter where i am a nice (73.4F) teehee

24. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Temps here hit around 90. Don't know about humidity but I sure am sweating. :p
    As for Northbridge temp, I think I'm OK. OP's NB temp seems kinda high but if everything is working maybe it's OK. Anybody know what the temps should be to be withing spec?

I expected my internal temps to be higher because I replaced my ATI X1900 fan for the Accelero X2. The new fan unit doesn't blow the hot air out of the case like the original and instead recirculates it inside the case. After an hour or more of extensive gameplay my fans RPM's increase but the temps stay about the same and my NB temps actually decreases to about 125 F. Not sure why.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh ok 90 aint that bad, just depends on humidity, its the killer haha

uumm i wouldnt think that anything would happen until the hardware plonked you out.. i think the cut off is 125°C (257°F).. thats the hardware cut off tho. im not exactly sure at what temp it starts doing damage. probably slightly below that