Is my Mac Quad core?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jardins de Vin, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

In my system informations it says:

Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4

So I assume it’s a quad core, right? But what I was wondering is why it always says “Intel Core i5” everywhere (for example for the processor type field), and why not “Intel Quad Core i5”?

It’s confusing because on sites like Mac2Sell you have the choice between “Intel Core i5” and “Intel Quad Core i5” and since it says “Intel Core i5” for mine it’s kind of confusing, seen it has 4 cores…

2. JaHull macrumors member

If its the iMac in your signature then it is a quad core processor. Intel Core i5 is the name of the processor, Intel have never used the name Intel Quad Core i5 to my knowledge so is probably a shop using more than one label.

3. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I don't believe intel have put "quad" in the desktop processor name since the Core 2 Duo Quad (Q6600 etc)

4. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Alright, weird, because for some models it does say “Intel Quad Core”. I mean I’m not sure if it’s officially says that, but when you read it on sites or so people call it this way. Probably to avoid confusion.

5. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

sometimes when people try to avoid confusion they end up confusing you more... sad but true

6. Habberkuk macrumors member

7. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Yep! Although “Intel Quad Core i5” makes more sense to me, because else it could mean the Dual core one as well.

Yes!