Is my mac ready to sell on?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ericthepenguin, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ericthepenguin macrumors newbie

Hi guys I hope someone can help me with a couple of simple queries:

I'm looking to sell my Powerbook so have reinstalled Leopard using the 10.5 DVD (not the original grey installation discs which I couldn't find) using the option which clears the hd.

I wanted to check that everything is returned to factory settings but cannot do so without reregistering (which I obviously can't do) so please can someone tell me are all my programmes, documents and settings etc gone? Will the recipient be able to set a new admin password etc and literally have a BRAND NEW mac?

Also the Leopard disc is a 5-user one I bought with flatmates and my Powerbook was the 4th computer registered- have I now exhausted its use or am I still on 4 installs?

Any advice on these would be much appreciated

Cheers

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Eh... You are kind of pushing the limit by selling a computer when you purchased the 5 user OS X pack.

I would say you only have one more install left if you want to try and be a little honest, even though what you are doing by selling a computer with OS X installed from a family pack is already against Apple's EULA. Lucky for you Apple isn't much like Microsoft (yet) where they will search and destroy every unlicensed OS.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Without using the original install disks, it won't be returned to factory settings, as the iLife apps won't be there.

When I sold my MacBook recently, which I wasn't really using, I erased the hard-drive three times by booting from the install disk and zeroing all the data using Disk Utility as I had some credit card info on there.

Then, did a clean install from the install disks. Afterwards, I checked it was booting and shut it down when the welcome splash started up, the one with the music. The buyer received it as if it was a new Mac with all apps intact.

4. ericthepenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses- hadn't considered rights issues at all tbh and iLife software would be good to include.

Better search for those original discs then proceed from there!

5. msheldrick macrumors regular

if you can't find them, i'm fairly certain that you can ring Apple and they'll ship you out a copy of them (for a fee)