Is my Mac really 'Clean'?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ShrubbySoup, Apr 19, 2013.

1. ShrubbySoup macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Hi,
    I was wondering, after deleting Steam, i still had all of my games and preference info still on my SSD. Is it possible that when i delete other apps their preferences or files still get left behind? I'm new to the mac filesystem so i don't really know where to look, compared to pc anyway. Also is there a App that could do this process for me, because this would save me plenty of time i'm sure, Thanks ShrubbySoup

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ShrubbySoup thread starter macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The other thing to note is that on Windows, all settings are kept in one big file, called the Registry. If there's a problem with one setting, then the whole thing goes.
    On OS X, each app's prefs are in a separate file. At worst, they will just sit there not being used.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

With Windows, I had developed a fool-proof way of dealing with this by maintaining full image backups using Ghost. OS on a separate partition of its own, so at any given time, I can "Go Back" very quickly without thinking, without having to research, time consuming what's wrong blah-blah.

With OSX, I have starting going that route via Carbon Copy. I know, there are other ways, "less drastic" shall we say, but storage is cheap. Just a couple of months ago, somehow OSX, or whatever App I installed, created a GUEST, or there was already a GUEST account but it was disabled by default, and all of a sudden on the logon screen, GUEST account was enabled! Did not like that at all, so I just pulled my CC backup, and was back to where I like to be within 20 minutes, No Thinking.

6. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

System Preferences>Users & Groups>Guest User>Uncheck the box that allows Guests to log into this computer. Takes about 1 minute ;)

7. Silvereel macrumors 6502

Or you could just ignore it. A worst, we're talking about five or ten megabytes here, I think.