Is my macbook 15" running slower on 60W?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emiel1, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Emiel1 macrumors newbie

As the title suggests: I am wondering if the new macbook pro 15" will run slower on a 60W power supply or if it will only affect the charging speed.

2. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Probably won't run slower, but will charge slower for sure. What you may see is that if you're doing an intensive task, battery may be draining faster than you are charging it which...isn't going to be good for the battery overall.

3. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Why not? I ask because I often use my iPad Pro connected to a Mac (because Astropad works best when connected with a cable) - and it charges, but sometimes drains faster than charging depending on usage. Why do you think it's not good for the battery? I asked both the makers of Astropad and people in the Apple Store during my visit to the States and they both said it's perfectly ok to use it plugged in (for the iPad, but I'm guessing the same logic applies to the MBP)

4. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Charging at a slower rate than it is discharging just means the cells are being consistently strained just to get charged - much like it's getting discharged and charged repeatedly. So I think that kinda taxes the cells a little more than it should be. I guess if you're just leaving it to charge over night (or just using it for light usage) then this should not really be a problem.

5. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Every time I ask someone about the battery, I get a different answer! For example - yes, this could be bad for the battery, but it will also spend cycles faster, which is also not good. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've heard some very different things and everyone seemed to know what they are talking about, so now I have no idea. I think I'll just use the thing the way I feel like and not think about it, otherwise I'll just go crazy about the whole thing.

6. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Hahaha you are absolutely right. Bunch of people who have their opinions on things, but use it the way you prefer, I don't think it'll change the lifespan of your mac that significantly! Enjoy!

7. Emiel1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I'm still worried about the battery though.. :(

8. Emiel1 thread starter macrumors newbie