Is my Macbook battery dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Stringer86, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Stringer86 macrumors newbie

I have had my macbook for about 2.5 years. The past few weeks i have noticed some type of battery issue.

First I noticed that the led light on the charger was going back and forth between green and orange (charged and charging) (every 2-3 seconds). I also noticed that on my top right part of my screen where battery life is shown it keeps going back in forth between (calculating....) and (Charged symbol: time).

Secondly, after about a week or so my battery started dying within 5-10 minutes after being unplugged.

Third, now my fan seems like it is always on high.

Is my battery just dead?

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Sounds like something isnt right..
    Check system profiler and see what it has to say about your battery.

3. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I just replaced my battery yesterday actually, my book is about the same age as yours. Mine had some other systems though I didn't experience those. Mine told me I had 10hrs of battery life and 100% battery no matter how long I used it then it would just randomly die. I used it for a couple more weeks until as soon as I unplugged the magsafe the computer shut down.

I was at about 365 load cycles, mac genius' told me i needed a new battery (even though profiler said battery was 100% health). I noticed that the fans went on quite a bit more as well, being plugged into the magsafe, and as soon as i plugged in the magsafe to the dead battery it would say charged. If it happened out of nowhere then its still probably the battery thats how mine went and i've read many others have had the same experience.

4. Stringer86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

here is my (current) information:
    Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 65218
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 65218
    Amperage (mA): 633
    Voltage (mV): 12454
    Cycle Count: 389

I guess i'm over my cycle count?

5. Stringer86 thread starter macrumors newbie

also, coconut battery says this:

current battery capacity: 65218mAh [sic]
    original battery capacity: 5020 mAh

[greeeeeeeeeeeen bar] 100%

--

Ideas?

6. dkbuilds macrumors newbie

Sounds like you need a new battery. Batteries DO wear out and yours might be a candidate for a replacement. The thing with batteries, you have to drain them all the way before you plug the charging cord in. Constant recharging of the battery while it is not completely drained wears out your battery.

I've seen this happen all too often.