Is my Macbook broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knight42, Oct 17, 2008.

1. knight42 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I brought a black 2.4 core 2 duo about 4 months ago and am really worried about the fan noise and the optical drive noise. To say the least there loud.

The optical drive makes a loud whirring at ANY time its in use, even if its just watching a DVD, its audible over any movie your watching.

The fan goes on the rampage as well any time you have a few "video" apps open, like webcams or even photoshop. It also comes on permanently any time i have VMware fusion running. Its loud, louder than a lot of cheaper PC laptops in the office, its very noticeable.

Im asking if anyone has any experience with that model, whether its a common thing and I shouldnt worry. I live about 70 miles away from the nearest Apple store, so wanted to ask before taking it there.

To be honest if I knew it was going to be this loud I wouldnt have brought it, its louder than the machine it replaced-an old 1.25 G4 emac!!!!

Thanks if anyone can help!!!

2. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

loud drive noices are common and but the fan is questionable.

3. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Well I answered this partialy in another thread, but basically I had the same problem as you and I found out that Alot of the SantaRosa macbooks that I tried would fire up to 5000-6k RPM with the fans as soon as It would get stressed out a bit such as watching youtube video's and running graphical application, I didn't have the problem when running video... But the newer Penryn revision completely annihilated that problem for me.. So my Penryn macbook wouldn't even as much as think about raising fan speed no matter what I threw at it but the SantaRosa version would start to act up and fire up the rpm as soon as you start multi tasking.

You might wanna try pointing out some of these problems in an apple store or something, I have owned both the santarosa and penryn macbooks and I can honestly say that after 10days with the santarosa MB I was completely done, I couldn't tolorate the fan instability and it's rapid speedups, So I sent it back to apple, luckily the Penryn macbooks came out the next week and i ordered one of those which pretty much solved the problem, no problems with the fans in that one.

anyways it can never hurt your luck to try calling them or go to the store and ask what's up, remember to get all the newest updates ect to see if it eliminates the problem if not.. off to the store.

I don't think they are obligated to repair it or anything but if the noise is really unbarable I would say that it's defective and that they deff need to fix it.

You could also just sell it at a loss and buy the new GlassBook I hear that they produce alot less noise than the older ones so I'm gonna get one.