Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flimzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
My macbook pro 15 inch retina 2.3 ghz i7 laptop started at 84 percent battery remaining but it only says it has 3 hours remaining. As I continue to use it however, it goes up slightly. As i type this it now has 4:50 remaining, and it is now at 81 percent, and now 80 percent and 5 hours and 30 remaining. Yesterday, my friend was using my macbook pro for about 40 minutes and he was a little rough with it and was balancing it hard on his knees and picked it up with one hand and it looked like it kind of bent hard for like 4 or 5 seconds. and he leaned on it. I got very upset. but do you think this ruined the battery? Why did my battery start at 84 percent, and say only 3 hours, then as it went down to 80 it now says 5:40?

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
The charge time remaining is just an estimate, and changes with what you are doing on the computer. Tasks that use lots of processor power make the estimate much shorter.

flimzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
The charge time remaining is just an estimate, and changes with what you are doing on the computer. Tasks that use lots of processor power make the estimate much shorter.

So do you think that he did any damage to my computer? If he did, how would I know?

sdimas

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2014
USA
Don't worry about it, mine showed 15 hours remaining at one point when I was just using iTunes.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
but do you think this ruined the battery? Why did my battery start at 84 percent, and say only 3 hours, then as it went down to 80 it now says 5:40?

Your computer is fine. As someone else said, the remaining time is just an estimate. If the computer doesn't have any physical damage, it's fine.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Those estimates can vary very wildly as it's basically just an estimate at your CURRENT rate of battery consumption. For instance just having a website with a really big ad made in Flash can make a significant dent into your battery life and cause an estimate shift of well over an hour.

So unless it starts powering down when you're still supposed to have power left in your battery (actually happened to me, turned out to be faulty battery), then don't worry as what you're seeing is 100% normal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its just an estimate, I think based on usage, not pushing the computer very hard with intensive tasks, the estimate goes up.

I say, enjoy your computer and don't fret about the battery :)

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
My macbook pro 15 inch retina 2.3 ghz i7 laptop started at 84 percent battery remaining but it only says it has 3 hours remaining. As I continue to use it however, it goes up slightly. As i type this it now has 4:50 remaining, and it is now at 81 percent, and now 80 percent and 5 hours and 30 remaining. Yesterday, my friend was using my macbook pro for about 40 minutes and he was a little rough with it and was balancing it hard on his knees and picked it up with one hand and it looked like it kind of bent hard for like 4 or 5 seconds. and he leaned on it. I got very upset. but do you think this ruined the battery? Why did my battery start at 84 percent, and say only 3 hours, then as it went down to 80 it now says 5:40?

Are you asking, if your friend damaged your laptop by picking it up and using it on his lap?

No, the laptop will not be damaged by normal use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.