Is my macbook dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AcousticDoc, Jun 10, 2008.

1. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

I have a first generation macbook...that sudddenly just died on me. The power button doesn't even respon anymore. Does this mean its not a harddrive problem? Did the logic board or whatever fail? How do I fix?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Does the charger light turn on when you connect the magsafe to the macbook? The battery has still some charge?

3. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

Yes! the charger still lights up but i don't hear the bootup sounds and the screen is blank. however i do hear something moving inside during this...im so sad! Do you think maybe the harddrive is just dead??? Is there anyways to find out?

4. wh!plash macrumors member

hold down the power button or take the battery out to turn it all the way off.

once its off, hold down these four keys: apple, option, P, R. now put the battery back in, plug it back into power, and turn on the laptop while holding these keys. after you hear the ::bong:: twice, let go.

Give that a shot.

5. 7031 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt that will help at all.

Try an SMC reset instead. Turn it off. Take out the battery and unplug the magsafe. Hold down the power button for 8 seconds and let go. Then put the battery back in and try to reboot.

6. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

I tried both methods and no dice :-( What sort of problem do you think it is? I don't have applecare :(