Is My Macbook Future Proof for Intensive Video Editing/Content Creation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waynechriss, Feb 9, 2010.

1. waynechriss macrumors regular

So i'm very happy with my white macbook 2.13Ghz 2GBram laptop, probably the best computer i owned. I got it because at the time i was buying a computer, i couldn't afford the "higher end" macbook pros, but this one seemed to do my just fine.

Now i do use programs such as iMovie, Garageband, GIMP and (practicing) Anime Studio Pro 5 quite regularly. I'm looking into getting into programs such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator in conjunction with ASP5 to practice for graduate school to learn computer animation in two years. I'm only in community college right now so none of my classes relate to the computer art field just yet. I love editing video and with these new tools, i'll get more in depth with content creation, mostly animation.

For those majoring in computer art, is my macbook fine for all the programs and activities? I know its the basic $999 but i just want to know if i should "invest" in a higher end mac in the future (in 2-3 years).

2. Gauthic macrumors newbie

Gauthic

No computer is "Future Proof" especially a consumer model. If you want to run any "Pro" application, it's best used on the a "Pro" model, and even then in time it'll no longer be up-to-snuff for the latest versions of "Pro" applications.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your MacBook is not future proof. No MacBook or MacBook pro is future proof. If your MacBook runs what you need today it will likely run it for a while longer.

4. nateharr macrumors 6502

Don't tell shambo that...

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

The present machine you have should suit your needs at least for the next 2-3 years. Apple doesnt drop support on older systems too soon and you can always upgrade later when you feel that you need more power ;)

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It's time to wash your hair. :confused:

7. waynechriss thread starter macrumors regular

well i guess considering the "fast" refresh of mac computers yearly i guess my computer isn't future proof. Well i guess what i'm saying is i haven't run a program like Illustrator, Final Cut Pro or Photoshop on my computer and i was wondering if it can hold up to all those things, especially for "professional use".

Whelp i guess i'll just upgrade the RAM and whatnot.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

It will run Illustrator and Photoshop just fine, better than fine in fact.

My web designer uses a 20" iMac thats 3 years old with lesser specs than your MB and does the entire Adobe Creative Suite + FilemakerPro + Quark 7 all ding dong day, runs like a champ.

Its easy -- and inexpensive -- to boost your MB to 4 gigs of ram and drop in a 500 gig (or larger) 7200 RPM drive. $200 max. 10 minutes for the instal.

Thats more power than many, many, many people have now doing all the things you listed day in and day out -- and they do just fine.

9. tofudc5 macrumors member

depends on what you mean by "runs fine"
    I'm using a 2.66 MBP with 4GB ram running CS4 and I don't even feel it's enough when I do 100 plus page magazines...