Is my MacBook Pro dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arizonablue, Aug 7, 2013.

1. arizonablue macrumors newbie

Not a mac gal so.. Have a early 2011 pro. At first it was freezing on the Apple logo. Was able to get in Utilities. Erased HD and then tried to download the lion it went to online. Tried twice, it took hours both times then said cant install "something" Dont have original disc so was told to buy Snow Leopard. Put disc in through utilities startup disc, when it restarted it just makes 3 beeps. Pushed the trackpad and eject to get out the cd then it goes back to utilities. Is this a bad logic board or HD? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Are you sure you have the correct install disc? These are machine specific. Best bet is to get the right ones via Apple. Of course you may have other issue here too....bad HDD...LB etc. but making sure that media is right would be my first port of call.

3. arizonablue thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure, I called apple and gave them my serial number. Said they dont sell the restore disc and I needed snow leapord.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well, if those discs came from Apple then you should have the right ones...Have you tried running the AHT? If you can't access the disk at all, then it could be your optical drive....maybe borrow a SuperDrive form somebody and try that?

Cancel that one, but try a standard USB optical and see if you can then run those AHT tests...may point you in the right direction.

5. arizonablue thread starter macrumors newbie

It will only go the ultilites when starting up. Doesnt do anything after pushing "D"

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

try downloading the os from the app store and making a bootable usb drive and see if that helps. Alternatively try doing a pram reset. Does utilities detect your hard drive? Verify the disk using disk utilities.

If it still keeps giving issues get it to the apple store.

7. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Try again. I know for sure they do.

When my 2010 macbook was giving trouble I called and asked for replacement disc, they send me both but charged me 40$ or something for it.

Try installing again via recovery and while it is installing look through the menu at the top and make the Log visible.

Wait till end and give us the exact error message that appears in the Log.

Did you by any chance upgrade your ram?

8. scbond macrumors 6502

Rather than buying or obtaining a Snow Leopard DVD just use another Mac to download Lion and create a bootable USB drive following a guide found via Google.

I always though three beeps at a failed startup was some sort of hardware issue, such as incorrectly fitted RAM ranging to faulty RAM or even a faulty logic board.