Is my Macbook Pro dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 0pt1cl3, May 26, 2010.

1. 0pt1cl3 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Basicly, my macbook wasnt working correctly so I booked it in for repair, the repair company suggested I did a back up so I obliged and used time machine, time machine said it was going to take 4 hours! Based on this I let it do the backup while I was at work!

However, while I was at work the stupid cat knocked over a bottle of coke onto the damned thing. The coke literally poured out of it! I have let it dry over night, the power adapter light doesnt come on, but when I press the button the front glowly light comes on and the hard drive spins up, but then it all turns itself off almost imediatly, is my logic board fried?

2. johnalan macrumors regular

I think probably yes, sorry to hear this.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My only suggestion would be to dissemble the entire computer and clean it with alcohol. It will take much work, but if the computer was filled with coke for a period of time that will be the only solution, it might not work tho..

4. 0pt1cl3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I can confirm it now, it made the start up noise a second ago, then a nice plume of smoke came out of it, somthing has definatly gone on it!

Thanks for your concern, I'm annoyed I wont have a mac for 4 or so weeks, but thats what insurance is for :)

5. mbpjohnson macrumors member

What kind of insurance covers spilling a coke on our laptop?

6. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

home contents insurance?

7. Deeya macrumors member

Lots of spilled drink stories popping up lately, I don't keep any liquids within tipping distance of my computer anymore :eek:

Hope you can get it sorted out!

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

most likely it is over for ur mbp. sugary drinks + mbp is like superman with kryptonite.

9. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I like this analogy. At least your cat is cute?