Is my Macbook Pro dying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHNguyen, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

If it is.. I don't blame it. It's been through lots of crap.. trust me. I was looking to get a new one anyways. Just curious if what I'm experiencing is common or/and an easy fix.

Here's a list of things that has happened to it:

1. Black lines show up on the LCD once in awhile. Long across the whole screen.. though, they disappear within a minute.

2. It freezes completely and I need to reset. This happens randomly but it's always when I maximize something from the dock. (I realized it could be because I set "animate opening applications" so I set it off. I'll see if that fixes it.

Does this sound like a new HD would help? or maybe something else? The freezing thing is really the only thing that bothers me. But it may very well be because I turned on the 'animate' option. I don't remember when I turned it on though and when the freezing started occuring. If it's a problem with the HD, I'd just replace that and hold off on buying a new laptop.

That being said don't let this scare you off if you're trying to decide to get a MBP. Mine was ran over with a car and has been working flawlessly before it, and even almost a year after it was run over. These problems just came up suddenly. It is also the 1st generation Macbook Pro.

2. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

I think this is the part that should have been in bold...

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Not really adding anything, but LOL :D

How do you run a $2k computer over with a car?

4. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Things tend to not work after being dropped or run over by something heavy... in this case a car.

So yes, your MBP is dying.

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

You should replace the part that got run over. I believe that will solve all your problems. Wait...

Seriously though, its cool that it lasted a year after being run over. Assuming it got flattened a bit, it could be simply you got 2 things really close together, and now, because of something else that happened, they touched. Causing random things to happen. Or its tired, and wants to die with honor. ;)

6. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the 2k MBP was ran over by a car. But it worked much longer that I had expected it to. The LCD did not even crack.

But I made the thread to see if these were common problems that had little/nothing to do with my accident. That way I could save some money for now and wait till another revision comes out that seems worthwhile.

Thanks for the help.