Is my macbook pro failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Surfer13134, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,I have a 2010 macbook pro that is a few months old and its been working flawless until now. It started this morning when I opened my macbook lid it it took a a while for my cursor to even show up on the screen,But thats not a big deal any ways tonight I went to use my computer I opened up the computer and then nothing the pulsing light on the front of the computer just stayed lit up and I had to hold down the power button until that light went off then turned it back on. So when it started back up I got the apple chime and the apple showed up then the screen went back off for a few seconds then turned back on and continued booting.Then I heard the disk drive noise like 3-4 times spin up,normally it only does this once. This happend twice tonight and isnt normal. So what do you suspect the problem could be? Could it be a failing HDD or something going on with the computer. Thanks for all your help,Sorry its long I just want to put as many details as I can to help you guys out. Thank you

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Start with the basics like Disk Permissions in Disk Utilities, followed by Repair Disk (it verifies first, then repairs if necessary.

3. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Definitely time to make sure your backups are up to date ...

4. Surfer13134 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great thanks for the quick replies I just back up my data yesterday so im good with that,Im running disk utility right now and will reset my pram and such like mentioned. Should I take it to a apple store? Or not worry about it just yet?

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

+1 on the PRAM reset. It seems that for some reason, doing this fixes a variety of bizarre and unexplainable issues. If it's under warranty and you don't absolutely need it, then yes, let Apple handle it. Furthermore, if it is fixed you have an issue later on, that means they know it has happened twice and will likely take more extreme measures (ex replacing a part outright).