Is my MacBook Pro Hacked?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -M-B-P-, Jul 15, 2013.

1. -M-B-P- macrumors newbie

Last week I bought a new 13inch MBP.. the battery is very poor, was wondering if an unknown application could be using a lot of CPU?

I got suspicious messages from an email address to my iPhone a while ago, is it possible to hack an iphone just by messaging it? if so, when the iphone synced with my windows laptop could it transfer the virus? so when I used a USB to transfer files from my windows laptop to my MBP could that have infected my MBP?

I'm sure im just really paranoid, but a few things have made me suspicious as Ive been keylogged in the past.

I quit safari and mail etc yet data was still being sent and recieved on the activity monitor..

Netstat on terminal just confused me, i had no idea what any of it meant. If you think its possible that I may have been hacked i can post my netstat log, but like i said im probably just really paranoid.

2. codenamecueball macrumors regular

Data is being sent and received because your Mac was checking for updates or something or using the web for numerous web-backed services.

You can't have a virus planted on an iPhone via email, nor can you transfer it via USB to a laptop to another laptop.

Open up activity monitor, tell it to list by what's using the most real mem and post a screenshot.

Here's mine for comparison:
    [​IMG]

Most likely reason is your Mac has a duff battery.

3. -M-B-P- thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay cheers - the processes all seem pretty legit. Thanks for your help

4. -M-B-P- thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to come back to this... but i havent been on MacRumors in a couple days, yet when i came on today it said i was last online today at 01:31pm...

The volume also changes, the thing doesnt pop up but it changes slightly sometimes. Also, the trash can was full but all the files were invisible?

I have Norton Anti Virus aswell, and im sure i havent downloaded any dodgy programs..

Netstat has some wierd stuff on it that looks kind of suspicious, but i dont really understand what it means.

If anyone can help il post my netstat log.

Thanks

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In over five years of reading "My Mac got hacked!" posts in this forum, not a single one ever was. No, it is not possible to have a virus infect your Mac, since none exist in the wild. Windows applications, including malware, cannot run on iOS or in OS X. Also, the only way to get a keylogger on your Mac is to install it yourself or give someone else access to your Mac to install it.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

6. -M-B-P- thread starter macrumors newbie

They all kept moving so i dunno if i got them all. These were the main 2 pages, theres 3 more shots i can upload if necessary

Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 17.02.44.png

Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 17.03.03.png

7. -M-B-P- thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it usual for MacRumors to say you've been online even if you haven't?

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

timezone difference?

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Norton anything is a virus/malware. Get rid of it ASAP.

I would never put anything from Norton or Symantec on a Mac. The only thing they can find is windows viruses, which do nothing on a mac.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

The Mac version of norton antivirus made for macs is in the Mac App Store...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing unusual or suspicious with any of the processes you have running. I would recommend you remove Norton AntiVirus, as it's not necessary to keep your Mac malware free, and it will consume some system resources that you could use for other things.

12. -M-B-P- thread starter macrumors newbie

Now on the top right corner its showing 'Private Messages' even tho i havent used private messaging.. whereas before it said Notifications.

I installed Norton for Mac which i got from pc world..

Are you saying that the Norton process in activity monitor is a virus?

----------

Okay thanks - Appreciate the help

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, Norton is not a virus. It's simply unnecessary and will consume system resources to run, that could be used for other processes that are more useful.

14. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

..and probably the reason the battery life is so poor